Using Microsoft Money 2004 - What now? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still using Microsoft Money 2004. It works, but I just got the news that Microsoft discontinued the program.

I'm a little concerned about this. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium but am not sure that future versions of Windows will still run this.

Another thing is that I wish I had something simpler. I don't link to my online banking with Microsoft Money and wish I could shut off the nags about how to categorize everything. I have my personal account and my small part time home business account in it, which is a LLC and run totally out of this checkbook. Working 10 hours a week, I didn't really feel like having to take classes and learn Quickbooks to do my business.

So suggestions? Should I perhaps upgrade this to the Sunset Edition, just to be safe?

I just Googled and saw various alternatives listed but I don't know what else to trust, I've been trusting Microsoft Money most of my PC life. In fact I WISH they'd just use the KISS principle and keep it selling and supported as a simple checkbook program, without online banking and without nagging me about having to even categorize everything I put in there. If it's business, it goes in my business account, if it's personal, it goes in the personal account, no problems.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 4:45 PM

All replies

• If you are in North America, I suggest you download the Sunset instal file and store it in a safe place, just to be safe, in case you wanted to install it later.

I don't use Business, but I understand that it requires everything to be categorized. You might check Tools->Options->Categories to see if there are any nags you could turn off.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:25 PM
  • If you are in North America, I suggest you download the Sunset instal file and store it in a safe place, just to be safe, in case you wanted to install it later.

I don't use Business, but I understand that it requires everything to be categorized. You might check Tools->Options->Categories to see if there are any nags you could turn off.

Oh, I hadn't realized this before. I thought I was just using Microsoft Money 2004 but it IS the Small Business edition. Ack!

Wonder if I can revert to just plain Money, but a later version, and have it use my same accounts files?

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Yes, you can go from a business version to the Deluxe version. Both Business and Deluxe are available as Money Plus Sunset. When you first open your file in the Deluxe version, it will warn you that the business features will not be available. I don't know what happens to your business accounts, but I am guessing they are just treated as regular accounts.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:46 AM
  • I'm a little concerned about this. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium but am not sure that future versions of Windows will still run this.

I have tested Money 2005 (UK) on Windows 8 Customer Preview, so I don't see you have any problems in the

forseeable future. The biggest threat to Money compataibility is not from underlying version of Windows but from

Internet Explorer, which it uses for it's screen rendering. IE10 (in Windows 8) causes no problems that I could

find but who knows what may change with later releases. 

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Hey Melissa... I'm not sure if you're following this post but I just thought I'd let you know I'm also using Microsoft Money 2004 and was wondering about compatibility, especially with Windows 8.

Well I'm here to report that I'm currently testing it on Windows 8 (in a virtual machine) and it seems to be working flawlessly (online features disabled, of course).

For what it's worth....

This was my biggest concern with moving to Windows 8.  As soon as I'm satisfied that this program will continue to work (I'd be lost without it!) I will upgrade my real OS to Windows 8.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Hi,

I am the same as you, I would be lost without MS Money. Can you please confirm when you are happy with your testing

Monday, November 5, 2012 12:18 PM
  • I'm another Microsoft Money 2004 user (in a virtual machine) with concerns about Windows 8 compatibility - which type of Windows 8 you are testing ?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 11:28 PM
  • All Ok using win 8 pro 64 bit.
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:50 AM
  • Hey,  I don't post here much but feel you shouldbe aware of this as I am pulling my hair out of my bald head at the moment! Whatever you do, make sure you keep the version of Money you last backed up to & install that to Windows 8 & then look for your backup & import it. I have to buy a 'new' second hand copy as I lost mine... I am praying it works otherwise I've lost 9 years worth of data! Also Sunset the non-supported replacement is US currency / date driven so will not accept your Money (whater version of money) UK files. I've tried it, frustratingly & Sunset has no way of merging the file... I tried for ages and all it does is make another backup of the original file) - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!   
    Friday, April 19, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Hey,  I don't post here much but feel you shouldbe aware of this as I am pulling my hair out of my bald head at the moment! Whatever you do, make sure you keep the version of Money you last backed up to & install that to Windows 8 & then look for your backup & import it. I have to buy a 'new' second hand copy as I lost mine... I am praying it works otherwise I've lost 9 years worth of data! Also Sunset the non-supported replacement is US currency / date driven so will not accept your Money (whater version of money) UK files. I've tried it, frustratingly & Sunset has no way of merging the file... I tried for ages and all it does is make another backup of the original file) - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!   
    You are right that Sunset can not read a UK file. However you can download the self-contained installation file for Money 2005 UK from the post listed first in this forum. Keep a copy of that installation file. Burn it to CD. We don't know how long that link will continue to be available.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 1:36 PM