Looking for WHS + Applicaiton server, for small home business.... anything out there?? RRS feed

• General discussion

• While Im loving the Vail RC, as my needs have changeds lsightly, I want the same funcitonality as vail, particularly when it comes to remote web access.  Now Im running a small home business, I want myself and a couple of other users to be able to access the likes of Office, in particular Outlook, via the web...

I had assumes SBS 2011 Essentials may bridge the gap between a home server, and business server, but it seems nothing more thatn WHS2001 with no stremaing, and more users.  Although it allows upto 25 users to access the server, im not exactly sure, form a business point of view, to do what exactly, beyond acting as a gateway to connect to their own pc.. not very green in these days of carbon fottprint awareness!   Id hoped it would allow users to use the likes of remoteapp or similar, to access server based apps, and use office/oulook etc from a browser... but this seems not to be the case.

What would I need to be ab to achieve such results, without the use of the likes of logmein, or having to leave other pcs on in the house, when the server is on 24/7 anyway...  I need myself and other users to have the ability to use outlook and calenderingfeatures whilst away from the home, and still have access to their files etc stored onthe server... not really asking for much, but cant seem to find what I need!

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

DrSoton
    Friday, February 25, 2011 1:18 PM

All replies

• While Im loving the Vail RC, as my needs have changeds lsightly, I want the same funcitonality as vail, particularly when it comes to remote web access.  Now Im running a small home business, I want myself and a couple of other users to be able to access the likes of Office, in particular Outlook, via the web...

============
    You may want to give office.live.com a look.

Nancy Ward
    Friday, February 25, 2011 4:52 PM
  • My suggestion would be to look at Live Domains http://domains.live.com. The product allows you to build an online collaboration system for a business or other organization. It uses Live Mail, but outlook can handle that. You can share calendars and contacts. Couple that with office.live.com and you have a use-anywhere office. Oh, and it's free and you tie your own domain to it.

You could also look at Microsoft's business-class offering: http://www.microsoft.com/business/bpostestdrive/demo.aspx?CR_CC=100205081&WT.srch=1&CR_SCC=100205081&WT.srch=1

Friday, February 25, 2011 5:35 PM