Product Key - Has it been used? RRS feed

• Question

• We took over an office after another company moved out (evicted...) In an office in one of the desks was a sealed copy of Windows 2003 Server R2 Standard Edition with the COA 5 license.  I have no use for it so I am looking to get rid of it but I need to know whether or not the product has been activated or any of the licenses has been used.  Will Microsoft assist me in checking its validity or does simply being in possession of the COA make you it's owner.

Thank You

Mike L
    Monday, May 18, 2009 3:37 AM

Answers

• Good Morning Mike,

Thank you for visiting us today :-). Unfortunately checking product keys falls outside our support scope. We do check the product key if the software was already installed as it would be part of the whole validation process. Please reference the below KB article and give them a call.  Hope this helps you some.

Take care,

Stephen

Telephone Activation Centers
    :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, May 18, 2009 6:46 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 6:45 PM