WHSv1 shared folder "Read" access allowing write? RRS feed

• Question

• In the process of migrating from my homeserv1 to the WHS11 box, I set the shared folder access to Read for my users folder so, in theory, I couldn't screw up and put new data there or in a folder within that folder. I did this days and reboots ago. I just made the mistake I feared, storing a new file in a \\homeserv1\users\dwatson\folder and the file wrote to the WHSv1 box completely unimpeded by my "Read" access. What am I missing?
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:09 PM

Answers

• Could it be, that you have stored credentials for accessing the server in Control Panel of the client, so that you connect i.e. as Administrator instead of using the user ID?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:11 PM

All replies

• Just to be clear, both your server and the client computer from which you moved/copied the file have been rebooted?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Both client and all homeservs have been rebooted. Several times.

Changed access several weeks ago. Many restart patches and several power outages since. Wrote a second test file to the homeserv1 moments before posting to "repeat" the scenario. Shut it down just to prevent a recurrence. But can power it back up to revisit.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Could it be, that you have stored credentials for accessing the server in Control Panel of the client, so that you connect i.e. as Administrator instead of using the user ID?

Olaf

• Marked as answer by Dick Watson Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:16 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hadn't even considered that kind of path but I'm sure that's the cause of this behavior.

(\\homeserv1\administrator creds stored for RDP access from the client to the WHS box, that is. Ergo am accessing the server as \\homeserv1\administrator not \\client\dwatson.)

Any idea how/where to delete these stored creds? I can go figure this out, but it's a scenario I've never encountered and had to figure out before.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:19 PM
  • RDP credentials should not affect share access credentials.

Hit Start/Run and type control keymgr.dll.

This opens the Credential Manager in Windows 7 (you did not mention your OS) and allows you to check and handle all credentials stored for network access.

Olaf

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:00 PM
  • RDP credentials should not affect share access credentials.

That was certainly my first thought. That having been said, I don't recall and can't think of a case where I've used \\homeserv1\Administrator creds on the client to access files on the server shares. I am sure that I have cached RDP creds for the \\homeserv1\administrator on the client and am sure I'd used those shortly before I encountered the unexpected ability to write to the "Read" access share.

I think I'll have to go play with this some more and create some controlled test cases. I have both Win7 and Vista clients that I want to not be able to write to the old server. The one I wrote to the "Read" access WHSv1 share from the other morning was the Win7 client. I'm sure I had run an RDP session from there. I think I'll try it from one of the Vista boxes first and then go revisit stored credentials and/or RDP on the Win7 client.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:23 PM