vista product key RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my computer with vista installed last year at best buy.  Now a year later, I turn the computer on and am told that I have an invalid copy of vista and to put in my product key.  Now, I have to assume I have a valid copy since I bought it already installed by a reputable dealer.  No where in anything is my product key.  Not on my computer as the picture shows you, not in any of the things I have from buying the computer.  Oh yes, I do have a product key if I want to install office.  Great!  Now I can't use my computer.  It took me two hours before I finally reinstalled vista from the cd I received with the package in case of problems.  Now I could still not find the product key, looked in registry, all over.  Finally, found magical jelly bean and it gave me the product key.  The only thing I did differently before this all happened was to turn off vista's firewall and download zone alarm.  Zone alarm says it's compatible now with vista but I think microsoft doesn't want you to use a different firewall.  This is the second time, by the way, I've had to reinstall vista and I'm not very happy about it.  It seems to me that microsoft hasn't planned vista very well.  I never had this problem with xp.  Is there something to upgrade that I don't know about?  I have automatic upgrades from microsoft so how could they give me this garbage about an invalid copy?  I'm very angry and plan to buy my next computer from mac

Friday, January 18, 2008 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hello Suze68,

I assume that your copy of Vista came pre-installed with your computer. If so, who was the maker of the computer?  All Large Computer Manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway...so on), that include Windows pre-installed, are required to include a Certificate of Authenticity that includes the Windows Product Key (usually in the form of a sticker stuck on the side or bottom of the computer). 

Also, please download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Thank you,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Friday, January 18, 2008 9:54 PM