Help - Unable to connect to WiFi outside of my home RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Since installing Windows Live One Care I am no longer able to connect automatically to any wireless connection other than my "home" wireless connection, for example at coffee shops or any wifi connection area.  I am no longer able to choose "airport thru" or anything else for connection.  They have disappeared totally.  Any ideas?  Thank you in advance for your help!

Laura

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:25 AM

All replies

• I've moved your post to the Firewall topic folder from Secure WiFi, since the Secure WiFi feature of OneCare is not an issue in your case. The OneCare Secure WiFi feature helps you secure your own network if OneCare sees that it is unsecured.

I'm not sure what you mean by the fact that the other connections have disappeared. When you have WiFi enabled on your PC and you are situated where other wireless networks are available for connections, selecting view available networks will bring up a list of all networks in range. I don't know if the problem is a firewall issue or something else, but let's start with disabling the OneCare firewall temporarily to see if you are able to connect to other networks when away from your home network. If you can connect, turn the OneCare firewall back on after the connection is made. If you cannot connect or see the other networks, your problem would not be with OneCare, if the OneCare firewall is off.

If you can connect with it off, then go to Change Settings, Firewall, Advanced, Ports and Protocols and place a check mark next to ICMP inbound and outbound, exit, and try to connect with the firewall on.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:16 PM