Please confirm remote access to Explorer via Dashboard from Vail-Website RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or a feature:
    When you logon to the Vail-Website, open Dashboard from there by connecting to the server and open one of the Comunity links on HomeScreen a remote InternetExplorer session ist opened. By typing c: in the adressbar you can open a remote explorer-shell with full access to all files on the server. So you could e.g. start c:\windows\system32\mstsc.exe to start a RemoteDesktop Session to log into Vail directly.

Don't know if it's intended to be this way.

• Edited by morgot Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:12 PM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:50 PM

Answers

• Thanks! I’ve assigned it to the correct program manager & feature team for triage.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

"morgot" wrote in message news:76a3dae8-8217-46b3-8bdd-43076dca67e6...

Here is the link:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556847/remote-access-to-explorer-via-dashboard-from-vail-website

Further testing brought up it makes a difference wether you start the Dashboard from a client on the same network or from within the Vail-Website by connecting through the Active-X-RDP-Plugin (the Name is similiar, didn't find the plugin in the addons, it installs the first time you try to connect through the website).

On the local network the local browser is started, when connecting through the website a remote-session is started for the browser.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Closing the loop here you should see this updated the next time you get a beta.

"Sean Daniel - MSFT" wrote in message news:71849be0-404b-4ab0-ace8-5bada929318c...
    Thanks! I’ve assigned it to the correct program manager & feature team for triage.

Here is the link:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556847/remote-access-to-explorer-via-dashboard-from-vail-website

Further testing brought up it makes a difference wether you start the Dashboard from a client on the same network or from within the Vail-Website by connecting through the Active-X-RDP-Plugin (the Name is similiar, didn't find the plugin in the addons, it installs the first time you try to connect through the website).

On the local network the local browser is started, when connecting through the website a remote-session is started for the browser.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:05 AM

All replies

• Have you reported it as a bug on Connect ?

The ability to access Explorer that way seems like a side effect of the need to be able to open the links on the home screen of the dashboard, though. So I could see Microsoft resolving it as "by design".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:18 PM
  • Just reported on connect, so we see what happens to that. It was my first bug report and my english isn't excellent at all, so I hope the report is comprehensible.

By the way, the links could also be opened on the local computer's IE, so no need for a remote IE-session, i guess.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:48 PM
  • My understanding is that we are doing work that when a link is launched from the dashboard, it’s actually going to launch the client default browser so you won’t be on the server at that point. 

Can you send me a link to your connect bug, I want to look at it on our side and make some notes in it.

thanks,
       Sean

"morgot" wrote in message news:9ae68a59-fedd-45e0-84f5-a962d12d4bf6...

Just reported on connect, so we see what happens to that. It was my first bug report and my english isn't excellent at all, so I hope the report is comprehensible.

By the way, the links could also be opened on the local computer's IE, so no need for a remote IE-session, i guess.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:22 PM
  • Here is the link:

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:09 PM
  • Thanks! I’ve assigned it to the correct program manager & feature team for triage.

Here is the link:

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 8:28 PM
  • Closing the loop here you should see this updated the next time you get a beta.

"Sean Daniel - MSFT" wrote in message news:71849be0-404b-4ab0-ace8-5bada929318c...
    Thanks! I’ve assigned it to the correct program manager & feature team for triage.

Here is the link:

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:05 AM