iDrive backup for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am resarching online backup for WHS and wondered if iDrive actually works. I get the impression I can only point it to the D drive so would this miss some files and only get tombstones. Am I correct that I would need to point the backup program to the shared folders on server to get a complete backup. What are some programs online backup services that work with WHS.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:34 PM

Answers

• I posted this because I have actually been using this for months along with an off site hard drive and just today I wondered if I was missing some online backups and just backing up tombstones. I had used Jungle Disk and felt it was to expensive.

In that case, you should contact the vendor and ask them if it works with WHS.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:19 PM

All replies

• I am resarching online backup for WHS and wondered if iDrive actually works. I get the impression I can only point it to the D drive so would this miss some files and only get tombstones. Am I correct that I would need to point the backup program to the shared folders on server to get a complete backup.

Probably.  However, since IDrive requires installation from the server desktop, it's unsupported on WHS (plus the fact that it probably wouldn't understand how WHS handles files).  I would recommend you do not install it on your server.

What are some programs online backup services that work with WHS.
    I use Jungle Disk for WHS.  I believe KeepVault has a WHS-specific product as well.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 1:52 PM
  • I posted this because I have actually been using this for months along with an off site hard drive and just today I wondered if I was missing some online backups and just backing up tombstones. I had used Jungle Disk and felt it was to expensive.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 3:41 PM

In that case, you should contact the vendor and ask them if it works with WHS.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 4:19 PM