Can I restore my WHS2011 serverfolders backup to a Windows 7 computer? RRS feed

• Question

• I had a WHS2011 machine and I had it backed up to an external USB hard drive.  The primary disk died on the WHS2011 machine.  I don't have the cash to deal with that right now, so I was hoping to use the backup USB drive to restore the "ServerFolders" to a Windows 7 machine so I could at least get to the data. 

When I plugged the drive it and I had to jump through a couple of hoops to get the drive to let me see the files on it, but I got that to happen.  Then I was greeted with a WindowsImageBackup folder that contained 3 other folders, Backup 2012-01-08 170010, Catalog, SPPMetadataCache and a MediaId file.

Based off of file sizes and such, I believe the meat of the backup is stored on a handfull of .vhd files.  I tried to mount one of these and I saw it had the "ServerFolders" folder on it, but there was nothing in this folder.  I checked to see if the files where hidden or marked as system files but that didn't seem to help.  Windows reported there was well over 100 gigs of data on the particular .VHD but I was unable to see it for some reason.

So my question is: Does anyone know how I can restore my WHS2011 "ServerFolders" files from an external USB drive they were backed up on?

Thanks,

Lucas

Lucas, MCP, A+, Network+

Monday, February 13, 2012 12:44 AM

Answers

• On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 00:44:18 +0000, rucas911 wrote:

Windows reported there was well over 100 gigs of data on the particular .VHD but I was unable to see it for some reason.

So my question is: Does anyone know how I can restore my WHS2011 "ServerFolders" files from an external USB drive they were backed up on?

Try running Computer Management (or just Disk Management) as Administrator
    on the Windows 7 computer and then mount the VHD. Once mounted, you should
    be able to see any files in the VHD and then simply copy them to whatever
    destination you like.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    K:  A term used in employment ads to disguise how much they are really
    willing
    to pay.

You advice was good.  The only other thing I had to do was to apply the security to all child objects, as well as enable viewing of hidden files.  Once I did this I was able to find everything.  The other thing I want to point out, is if you happen to be running a 3rd party drive extender program such as StableBit drive pool, as I was, you have to pull your data and merge from several different .vhd files.

Thanks for all the help.

Lucas, MCP, A+, Network+

• Marked as answer by rucas911 Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:04 PM

All replies

Windows reported there was well over 100 gigs of data on the particular .VHD but I was unable to see it for some reason.

destination you like.

Paul Adare
    willing
    to pay.

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:40 AM

destination you like.

Paul Adare
    willing
    to pay.

You advice was good.  The only other thing I had to do was to apply the security to all child objects, as well as enable viewing of hidden files.  Once I did this I was able to find everything.  The other thing I want to point out, is if you happen to be running a 3rd party drive extender program such as StableBit drive pool, as I was, you have to pull your data and merge from several different .vhd files.

Thanks for all the help.

Lucas, MCP, A+, Network+

• Marked as answer by rucas911 Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:04 PM