Not sure about why I'm registering as Ingenuine, but RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently suffered from a computer crash and had to reinstall Windows XP pro, on to a new hardrive on the same Motherboard (elecrtical surge).  Due to the crash I lost updates such as WMP9.  Now I have tried to reupdate, but this WGA thing won't let me.  I have 3 questions:

1)  Would my crash and subsiquent reinstallation have caused a breach in license on my OS?
    2)  I orginally bought my copy of Windows on Ebay, and it came in a plastic wrapper not a box, so it may have been part of a VLK I don't know.  Is this kind of fraud elegible for a complimentary key?
    3)  If I have to buy a new key, even at the offer shown for WGA, why should I have to pay more for a replacement key, than it would cost for a new copy of Mac OS X Tiger (The price seems a little high especially when new in box XP copies can be bought for less from online retailers)?

Thanks.
    Friday, July 7, 2006 9:57 AM

Answers

• Vidroii,

To answer your questions:

1:) No

2.) That remains to be seen... so to help me understand the issue further can you please follow the steps below?

Download and run the WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

3:) That is exaclty the problem, Those "online retialers" that are usually selling for far less than the standard pricing are doing that  because they are making a 100% profit on every copy they sell (because they are counterfit)

I hope this helps,

Friday, July 7, 2006 1:52 PM