none
Missing features (or how do I do it)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

1) I have trieds to use Synctoy to do a backup of a directory (Win Server 2008 x64) and I have seen that there is no possibility to use the Volume shadow copy (to backup a SQL Server 2005 database). Is it planned to add it, or did I miss something.
    2) When I do a backup , I would like to be able to verify that the files are copied correctly. Actually, it is not possible. (or I didn't see how to do it). Of course, the copy will be slower as the destination file (and the original file too) needs to be read to calculate a checksum for example. The only way I see to do it is to launch the backup two times  (and hope that the original file isn't modified before the second job).
    3) It would be great to be able to compress the files in the destination directory (ZIP for example)
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:54 AM

Answers

• Hi -

These are all great suggestions and we will consider it for future releases.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:05 AM

All replies

• 1. VSS not used by SyncToy. 3. Hmmm... How about NTFS compression?
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:11 PM
  • Hello,

1) Perhaps in a new version? It would be a great feature to do a backup
    3) The plan is to copy the files later either on a FTP, or on a USB drive. It is a lot faster to copy a simple zip file than a lot of small files over USB (and FTP). Also, if you transfer zip file on FTP and you try to open it, there is immediately an error if something went wrong.

Thank you
    Marc
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Hi -

These are all great suggestions and we will consider it for future releases.

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Thank you

Marc
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 9:40 AM
  • Hello,

3) The plan is to copy the files later either on a FTP, or on a USB drive. It is a lot faster to copy a simple zip file than a lot of small files over USB (and FTP).
    Marc
    On current version You can run BAT file with calling SyncToy (START /W) with needed pair and then run any archiver to create ZIP.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:01 AM
  • Hello,

Actually, I have seen another program that works well.
    There is a task scheduler, a service... It is Cobian backup.
    1) It uses VSS on 32 bit windows or XP 64 (I use 64 bit Vista , so no luck).
    2) It can verify the files are copied correctly
    3) It can zip the destination file

Thank you
    Marc
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:12 AM