WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc service doesn't start automatically on client RRS feed

• Question

• I am having this problem with a new Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 netbook that I have added to my WHS2011 server.

The connector installs fine and the service runs fine. However if the netbook is restarted the WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc service doesn't start automatically as it's supposed to as well as the LightsOn client. I start them both manually and they work fine.

Looking at the event log and it says the MhsMCclient service refused to start:

The description for Event ID 0 from source WhsMcClient cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Additonal information: Bad service request

I have uninstalled the connector software several times as well as removing the computer account on the server and then reinstalling and the same problem occurs each time. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Many Thanks.

• Edited by randallc1 Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:04 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:03 AM

Answers

• I haven't had much time to look into this further ... I just kept the machine from restarting by setting it to hibernate however I it's now fixed.

I checked the logs today and it seemed the NetTcpPortSharing service wasn't starting within to 30000 millisecond default time which resulted in a couple Windows Server services (WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc and ServiceProviderRegistry) not starting. You can extend the timeout period by doing the following:

Add a DWORD registry entry (ServicesPipeTimeout) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. I set the value to 60000 and it seemed to work fine after a restart.

• Marked as answer by randallc1 Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:21 PM
    • Edited by randallc1 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:36 PM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:21 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi

I have 2 HP Windows 7 Laptops that have same issue.  They are only connected via wireless overnight.  Turned on WOL via network driver.

But still seeing this event in Application Event Log on the Windows 7 Laptop clients.  "description for Event ID 0 from source WhsMCClient cannot be found"

not sure what is going on

Saturday, January 21, 2012 12:36 AM
  • I haven't been able to resolve this. The only workaround is to manually start the WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc service and hibernate the laptop rather than shutting them down so the service keeps running when the laptop is switched back on.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 2:19 PM
  • I haven't had much time to look into this further ... I just kept the machine from restarting by setting it to hibernate however I it's now fixed.

I checked the logs today and it seemed the NetTcpPortSharing service wasn't starting within to 30000 millisecond default time which resulted in a couple Windows Server services (WSS_ComputerBackupProviderSvc and ServiceProviderRegistry) not starting. You can extend the timeout period by doing the following:

Add a DWORD registry entry (ServicesPipeTimeout) in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. I set the value to 60000 and it seemed to work fine after a restart.

• Marked as answer by randallc1 Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:21 PM
    • Edited by randallc1 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:36 PM
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:21 PM
  • I am having the same problem (WHSMclient cannot be found) with a Windows 7 computer with WHS2011. Backups were working fine. Computer crashed and had to be rebuilt but is put back onto WHS with the same computer name. Backups have not worked for the above problem since the rebuild (backups start and then fail somewhere after about 10%). None of the suggested solutions here have worked. I checked the registry entries on the client computer and they correctly point to the location of the WHSMcClient.exe file. The exe. file is present at its assigned location. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WHS connector.

I am also getting two other Event Viewer error recordings on the client computer which I think are related (timing of errors seem to coincide with WHSMclient fails and they are "Windows Server" reported errors). They say: "Backup job 354 on ___SERVER did not succeed.  Reason: VolumeMissingSystem.String[]" and another: "Cannot back up the volume {677e...6963} because the volume does not exist."

I also appear to be getting random VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) errors on the client computer. Could this be related? Does WHS 2011 interact with VSS on the client computer? Does VSS need to be turned off?

There appears little discussion on the web about the WHSMcClient problem and NOTHING about the VolumeMissingSystem.String problem. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:50 PM