Adding/Managing Storage & Shares RRS feed

• Question

• I just built myself a WHS using some old parts i had laying around, P4 3.0Ghz & 1GB RAM, but i olny had a couple 80GB drives to slap in it. All my media was previously attached as external FAT32 hard drives on my Media Center. I have 2 x 500GB MyBooks, one full of music and the other TV shows and then a 1TB drive for movies. I've decided that i want to centralize all the data in my house on the WHS. I thought just plugging these external drives into the WHS would be a great way to accomplish this but now i've hit a couple brick walls and i'm hoping someone here can help.

I first tried plugging the 500GB music drive into my WHS to discover that i couldn't "add" the drive unless it was formatted, so i stopped there because i didn't want to format the drive. Next i tried just using the drive normally and sharing it, but that share doesn't show up in the WHS console. Next i decided to try redirecting the My Music WHS share to my external Music drive just to discover that it looks like folder redirection has been left out of WHS.

So now i'm basically looking at backing up all the data on these 3 external drives and then formatting them to work with WHS and then moving all the data back to them but i don't think that will solve all my problems.

My major issue is that, because i only have 160GB of total storage in my WHS, the WHS shares will be useless. For example the WHS Music Shared folder, since all my music will be on an external drive, this folder will be empty and undeleteable therefore i will not be able to create another share named music. Also adventually i'll be adding my Tv shows and movies, external drives, to my WHS and i'd like both the TV Shows folder and the movies folder to appear inside the WHS My Videos shared folder.

It looks like my only option is to format all the drives, add them to the pool then put all the data back but this still raises a couple questions; the shared folders reside on a relatively small partition, because i only put 160GB in my WHS, if i had these external drive to the pool will the size of the partition that holds the share folders increase or stay the same size. Also i've read that using external drives in the pool is a bad idea, for obvious reasons.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or recommendations???

Thanks
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:13 PM

Answers

• You have already worked through all the alternatives, I'm afraid. Windows Home Server is designed to be simple for a non-technical individual to use, so everything is designed to be accessed through the console. You can create shares on a drive through normal Windows functionality, but Windows Home Server can't manage those shares. You can't get Windows Home Server to import a drive with data because it expects complete control of all the hardware you give it, and you would be retaining control in that case. And redirection offers some potential for causing issues with Drive Extender, the technology behind the storage pool in Windows Home Server, so you shouldn't even attempt that.

My recommendation is to purchase one or two additional drives (two is better; make them the largest drives you can manage, ideally 1.5-2 TB so you'll have a lot of room for expansion), add them to the storage pool, and copy the contents of your external drives to your server's shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Rudeboouuy Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• You have already worked through all the alternatives, I'm afraid. Windows Home Server is designed to be simple for a non-technical individual to use, so everything is designed to be accessed through the console. You can create shares on a drive through normal Windows functionality, but Windows Home Server can't manage those shares. You can't get Windows Home Server to import a drive with data because it expects complete control of all the hardware you give it, and you would be retaining control in that case. And redirection offers some potential for causing issues with Drive Extender, the technology behind the storage pool in Windows Home Server, so you shouldn't even attempt that.

My recommendation is to purchase one or two additional drives (two is better; make them the largest drives you can manage, ideally 1.5-2 TB so you'll have a lot of room for expansion), add them to the storage pool, and copy the contents of your external drives to your server's shares.

• Marked as answer by Rudeboouuy Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Thanks Ken, that's what i was affraid of. I am a very techincal person and i guess i have to stop thinking so technically when working with WHS and dumb down my thought process a little bit.

Now if i added a couple large drives like you recommended, would that increase the size of the partition that the shared folder reside on or do i need to completely reinstall WHS onto these larger drives?

Thanks again for your quick response.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:40 PM
  • No just install them. When you boot your server afterward they should show up as available drives. Just right click and add them to the storage pool. They will extend the pool.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:54 PM