Certified Hardware for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I'm keen to build a dedicated PC for WHS.  Where can I find a list of WHS certified hardware?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 3:59 AM

Answers

• I don't know of any certified products yet. Here are the requirements that have been made public so far for the WHS Logo program. (The full requirements are expected to be released to OEMs by the end of June.)

Required:

• 1.2 > GHz equivalent x86 CPU
    • 1 Internal Hard Drive (80Gb Minimum) with toolless expansion facilities
    • 512Mb Minimum RAM
    • 1 Gigabit Network Card
    • 4 External USB Ports
    • 30db or less noise emission

Not allowed:

• Wireless Network Adaptor
    • Video Connector
    • Optical Drive
    • Keyboard and Mouse Ports
    • RS-232 and Parallel Ports

Keep in mind that servers usually require certification as a whole, There is no such thing as a Motherboard with a Server 2003 Logo (although that might change for WHS).

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:41 AM
  • There is a link to a non-existent page on Connect at the moment. Smile

You will need a router that supports port forwarding for incoming traffic. A few routers can only do this by putting a computer in their DMZ, which exposes it directly to the internet. Better is one that allows you to forward individual ports to a specific destination.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:15 PM

All replies

• I don't know of any certified products yet. Here are the requirements that have been made public so far for the WHS Logo program. (The full requirements are expected to be released to OEMs by the end of June.)

Required:

• 1.2 > GHz equivalent x86 CPU
    • 1 Internal Hard Drive (80Gb Minimum) with toolless expansion facilities
    • 512Mb Minimum RAM
    • 1 Gigabit Network Card
    • 4 External USB Ports
    • 30db or less noise emission

Not allowed:

• Wireless Network Adaptor
    • Video Connector
    • Optical Drive
    • Keyboard and Mouse Ports
    • RS-232 and Parallel Ports

Keep in mind that servers usually require certification as a whole, There is no such thing as a Motherboard with a Server 2003 Logo (although that might change for WHS).

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 5:41 AM
  • What about remote access, is there a list of approved or compatible routers?  If there's no official list what should I look out for when buying a router for WHS remote connectivity?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:11 AM
  • There is a link to a non-existent page on Connect at the moment. Smile

You will need a router that supports port forwarding for incoming traffic. A few routers can only do this by putting a computer in their DMZ, which exposes it directly to the internet. Better is one that allows you to forward individual ports to a specific destination.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:15 PM