none
how to replace the original drive in my HP media smart server RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP ex470 it came with one 500GB drive, since then I have added 3 other 750GB drives to it. I want to replace the original 500GB drive with a 1.5GB drive, how do I do this? is it possible?
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    even if it is possible, I would recommend to replace one of the data disks.
    Several postings in the web can be found stating that there are problems with Seagates 1.5 TB disks, not specially pointing to the HP, but happening often enough to avoid early usage on a headless server.
    This being said:
    To replace the system drive, first login via Remote Desktop to your server. Use disk management to check, if the D: drive (the DATA partition on your primary disk) is empty (or install the add-in WHS Diskmanagement to check the drive status).
    If it is not and there is still enough free space on the other disks, I would recommend LZreallocator to trigger WHS to relocate the files on that drive.
    After that process has been finished, shut down the system, replace the disk with a new one and start the Server Recovery process as outlined in the HP documentation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    even if it is possible, I would recommend to replace one of the data disks.
    Several postings in the web can be found stating that there are problems with Seagates 1.5 TB disks, not specially pointing to the HP, but happening often enough to avoid early usage on a headless server.
    This being said:
    To replace the system drive, first login via Remote Desktop to your server. Use disk management to check, if the D: drive (the DATA partition on your primary disk) is empty (or install the add-in WHS Diskmanagement to check the drive status).
    If it is not and there is still enough free space on the other disks, I would recommend LZreallocator to trigger WHS to relocate the files on that drive.
    After that process has been finished, shut down the system, replace the disk with a new one and start the Server Recovery process as outlined in the HP documentation.

Olaf
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:47 AM
  • actually that is the drive I was going to buy....

If there are problems with that drive maybe I should just get the SANS DIGITAL TR4M 4 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) JBOD Enclosure and just ad the 1.5gb there. that way if there is a problem with the drive it can easily be replaced, what do you think
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:20 PM
  • raaaaaa said:

actually that is the drive I was going to buy....

If there are problems with that drive maybe I should just get the SANS DIGITAL TR4M 4 Bay SATA to eSATA (Port Multiplier) JBOD Enclosure and just ad the 1.5gb there. that way if there is a problem with the drive it can easily be replaced, what do you think

if the drive is not properly supported by the controller/driver combo, it still may cause data corruption.
    But it is solely your decision, and I don't know the drive from first hand experience.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:56 PM