Required permissions for job submission HPC 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• Some users on my test/dev HPC 2008 cluster receive a "Permission Denied" error dialog when they use the "New Job.." button in the Job Manager UI.  The user is granted no special privileges.  A job is created in the All Jobs list under the user, but the status is configuring.

I have another user who appears to be setup with similar permissions who is able to create and submit jobs to the compute nodes.

No errors are logged to event viewer.  Any ideas what permission is being denied?

matt
    Monday, January 12, 2009 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Matt,

Thank you for your post. The HPC Server administration console allows you to specify which users have access to the cluster. Have you checked to see that both users are set as users for the cluster in our cluster administration tool? Off the top of my head that's the most likely case. Let us know if that's not the case.

Thank you,
    ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:57 PM
  • In addition to this you can also use Cluscfg.exe with the "setcreds" operator to add user credentials in the cache.  

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947669.aspx

Regards,
    Tyler
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:52 PM
  • This doesn't appear to be a credentials issues for running the job. The permissions error comes up as soon as the job is created.

The original user with the problem resolved on its own eventually, now there is another user exhibiting this behavior, after successfully submitting jobs until yesterday. 

I checked the users allowed, Domain Users is listed, and no specific login names are listed.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Can you please post some additional details on what the error says verbatim and any codes that are displayed with this as well. Also, is anything logged in HPC that you could post up for us to see?

Thanks!
    Friday, February 13, 2009 3:54 PM