Replacing my WHS with a new one RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing WHS installed on an old PC - it's been great, but a little slow, and I knew I needed more drive space (plus I worried that the old PC might just die soon!)  So I purchased a new Acer EasyStore AH340.  Great little box for a great price. 

Before I set this up, I have some concerns that I can't find answers to anwhere:

• What's the best way to get my existing files over to the new server?  (I have 500GB of music, photos, and user files.)  If I put an old drive into the new server, it will re-format them.   I could rename my old server and copy the files over the network.  I could purchase an external case for the old drive and use the Acer USB copy feature.  Any other suggestions?
    • Will I need to uninstall/reinstall the WHS connector on all my home PCs?  I assume Yes, but looking for confirmation.
    • Any other advice on replacing an entire WHS?

Thanks!

Tim Dallmann
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:50 PM

Answers

• What's the best way to get my existing files over to the new server?  (I have 500GB of music, photos, and user files.)  If I put an old drive into the new server, it will re-format them.   I could rename my old server and copy the files over the network.  I could purchase an external case for the old drive and use the Acer USB copy feature.  Any other suggestions?
    I recommend using an external drive to make a server backup. Then restore the backup on the new server. An external backup drive is always a good idea. I would not use the USb copy of the Acer for this data transfer.

Will I need to uninstall/reinstall the WHS connector on all my home PCs?  I assume Yes, but looking for confirmation.
    Yes, at least the client machine used for first installation/configuration requires the use of the connector from Acers CD media. When you have your Acer up and running with all updates (matching the same version as your old machine) you can run discover.exe on your other client PCs to reconnect to the new server.

BTW: There's an updated version of LightsOut, recommended for the Acer! More details here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?s=ce07fd711188f804d27be7cc3d4c8e69&showtopic=8906

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:54 PM

All replies

I recommend using an external drive to make a server backup. Then restore the backup on the new server. An external backup drive is always a good idea. I would not use the USb copy of the Acer for this data transfer.

Will I need to uninstall/reinstall the WHS connector on all my home PCs?  I assume Yes, but looking for confirmation.
    Yes, at least the client machine used for first installation/configuration requires the use of the connector from Acers CD media. When you have your Acer up and running with all updates (matching the same version as your old machine) you can run discover.exe on your other client PCs to reconnect to the new server.

BTW: There's an updated version of LightsOut, recommended for the Acer! More details here: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?s=ce07fd711188f804d27be7cc3d4c8e69&showtopic=8906

LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:54 PM
  • I hooked up an external USB drive to my old server and am now in the process of backing up my shares.  Setup was a breeze!  Only problem now is that my old box had only USB 1.0 ports, so it's going to take a week to copy all my files!  ;-)

Tim Dallmann
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:42 PM