VS 2010 Beta 2: "The Operation could not be completed" occurs with "Debug" and "Release" chosen.

    General discussion

  • Hello.

    I did a clean Install of Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate Beta 2 yesterday but each time I try to Debug or Release a program i get the "The Operation could not be completed" error. I did a little bit of research but no given solutions I found solved my problem.
    This include e.g.
    1.) running "devenv /ResetSettings" which apparently doesn't help because the error persists.
    2.) Killing the MyProject.vshost.exe task, I get the following error when trying to Debug: "Error while trying to run project. Unable to start debugging. The process has been terminated. Refresh the process list before attempting another attach."
    3.) Disabling the Visual Studio hosting process will give the following error when trying to Debug: "Cannot detach from one or more processes: [3388] MyProject1.exe: The Object invoked has disconnected from its Clients. Do You want to terminate them instead?"
    --> Clicking No gives the following Error Message: ""Error while trying to run project: Unable to start program "K:\Projects\MyProject1\MyProject1\bin\Debug\MyProject1.exe". The Debugger is not properly installed. Run setup to install or repair the debugger"".
    --> Clicking Yes gives the following Error Message: "The debugger was unable to terminate one or more processes. [3388] MyProject1.exe: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients. The debugger may be unstable now. It is recommended that you save all files and exit."

    Re-Installig VS didn't solve the problem either. Interestingly enough, it works fine on a Virtual Machine under VMWare.
    I'm running it on Windows XP x86 + SP3. The Virtual Machine is the same OS. No Visual Studios have been installed before or parallel. I got this VS Version from Dreamspark.
    Running the project with CTRL + F5 (Start without Debugging) works fine too.

    I'd be glad to hear any solutions to this rather annoying problem.

    #  EDIT #

    I found a quick workaround for this problem on my computer: I renamed the VS7DEBUG Folder in K:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared and now it works the way it should. I wonder if that folder is any important? It didn't have any locks on it when i renamed it (VStudio was closed though).
    • Changed type Gernony Monday, December 21, 2009 7:22 PM Found a workaround
    Monday, December 21, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

  • Thanks for sharing the resolution to our community members! Happy debugging!
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework!
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 9:12 AM
  • This issue still exists. Renaming the VS7DEBUG folder solves the issue instantly but after an elapsed amount of time the issue returns and a reboot of Visual Studio is required.
    Wednesday, June 6, 2018 7:35 PM