In my circle of one, OneCare cannot connect other PCs in my circle. RRS feed

• Question

• When I turned on my computer this morning, I got a red indicator. Upon opening OneCare there was a message that read as follows: "OneCare can't connect to the other PCs in your OneCare circle. To troubleshoot the problem, click Help."

I do not have any other computers in my circle, nor have I ever had any others, so it's not as if I forgot to unregister a computer correctly. Moreover, the 2.0 beta has been running fine for months and I'm a little perplexed as to why it's acting up now. Any suggestions? I tried Instant Support, but unfortunately it's worthless as ever. (Why can we have a tagged and searchable library of articles rather than this short-bus artificial intelligence program?) I can lookup additional information if you need it, but I haven't changed anything recently, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should provide. I can say that the version I'm using is 2.0.2318.12, which hopefully provides some point of reference.

Thanks. :-)

Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you open One Care and then open "Manage your One Care Circle" are there any computers listed?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:29 PM
  • None. I simply have a short descriptive text blurb and two options (Add and Rename). Right above the "Manage Your OneCare Circle" button is another one that says "TABLET Status: At Risk" ("TABLET" is the computer I'm using). Clicking that just takes me back to the main dashboard.

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:32 AM
  •  

If you've never had any other PCs in your Circle, did you make your PC a hub?

I would suggest contact support using the Get More Help link here - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

-steve

Monday, August 20, 2007 1:32 AM
  • I too, am having the same problem.  Only have activated one computer, (with a 2.0 code I received from Microsoft) on one computer.  This seems like a bug to me. Since this is the only computer in the OneCare circle.  Version 2.0.2318.12.  The link provided isn't helpful in getting any information on how to resolve this problem.

Best Regards,

Mark

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:12 AM
  • Mark, the link provided is the main help page. In the lower right corner of the page are the words "Get More Help" which will begin the path to open an email support case with OneCare beta support.

You can also file a bug on Connect - 

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Monday, August 27, 2007 5:40 PM
  • Hi Mark.

Did you ever sort out what was wrong, ive got the same problem and no i didnt make it a Hub pc, getting ready to hoike it out of here.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:42 PM
  • spex357, there is clearly a problem with several functions in OneCare 2.0 since late last week that is affecting Circles and centralized backup. I am awaiting some sort of response from the developers on this, but I'm suspecting a problem server side.

-steve

Thursday, August 30, 2007 4:58 PM
  • Hi everyone,

There were indeed some server-side issues that were leading to this, but these should now be fixed.  I've posted more details at http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2077910&SiteID=2.  Please let me know if you're still running into any issues.

Thanks,

Guhan

Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:30 PM
  • I am currently having this issue.  Installed on one machine only, eve (although I do have 1.5 installed on two other computers in my network).  This issue started three days ago, coincidentally after I configured and ran backup for the first time.  I run backup to an external drive connected to another computer with a shared directory.  I have forced the client to check for updates and it states that it is up to date.

I'd like for my icon to not be red telling me I'm at risk, because unless I'm missing something, I am not at risk.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 7:45 PM
  • You're right, dkdevin, you aren't at risk. :-)

Mona posted to this thread, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2086084&SiteID=2, that there are some bugs to be worked out with the Circles feature. I encountered the same thing you are reporting and rebooting resolved it for 2 days and it was back again today. About 10 minutes after another reboot and OneCare was back in the green. I'd say that the server issues continue and we may also need a client update to resolve some of the bugs.

-steve

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:23 AM