I sent back to Microsoft my illegal (MSDN) copy of Win 7 Ulitimate RRS feed

• Question

• I Sent my copy of win 7 ultimate back to Microsoft in January and have, today, received back today a  ggok win 7 professional instead of ultimate why, trying not to appear ungrateful, why didn,t they replace like for like? Do I have to uninstall my illegal Ultimate copy then reinstall the Win 7 Proffessionnal. Will my work transfer to the new system automatically?

Your help is appreciated,

I look forward to a response,

Kind Regards,

Dave Lewis

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 8:37 AM

Answers

• "dave.lewis" wrote in message news:be32cd67-678a-4902-ba8c-65f55ce2a7a6...

I Sent my copy of win 7 ultimate back to Microsoft in January and have, today, received back today a  ggok win 7 professional instead of ultimate why, trying not to appear ungrateful, why didn,t they replace like for like? Do I have to uninstall my illegal Ultimate copy then reinstall the Win 7 Proffessionnal. Will my work transfer to the new system automatically?

Kind Regards,

Dave Lewis

Unfortunately, this is the normal practice with the free replacement system (IIRC, this was explained on the website at the time).
    You will need to reformat and reinstall - you cannot 'downgrade' an existing installation.
    First back up all your data to external media, and make sure that you have the installers for your applications, and any relevant Keys, and then choose a Custom install from the installation options, and reformat the drive.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, April 13, 2011 11:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Professional is the exact same code as Ultimate.  They run the same speed.  The only difference between the two is access to language packs and Bitlocker. 

You are better off with Professional anyway.  You get five more years of Microsoft Support than you do with any other edition, including Ultimate.  Professional will be supported until 2020 and Ultimate only until 2015. 

You activate the software and register the user.  It makes no difference whose name is on the order.  Activation ties the software to the computer not a person.  Registration puts the user in Microsoft's customer database.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:40 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• "dave.lewis" wrote in message news:be32cd67-678a-4902-ba8c-65f55ce2a7a6...

I Sent my copy of win 7 ultimate back to Microsoft in January and have, today, received back today a  ggok win 7 professional instead of ultimate why, trying not to appear ungrateful, why didn,t they replace like for like? Do I have to uninstall my illegal Ultimate copy then reinstall the Win 7 Proffessionnal. Will my work transfer to the new system automatically?

Kind Regards,

Dave Lewis

Unfortunately, this is the normal practice with the free replacement system (IIRC, this was explained on the website at the time).
    You will need to reformat and reinstall - you cannot 'downgrade' an existing installation.
    First back up all your data to external media, and make sure that you have the installers for your applications, and any relevant Keys, and then choose a Custom install from the installation options, and reformat the drive.

--

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Dear Noel,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am a little disappointed as Ultimate is so very quick, it's fantastic. At least the " illegal" popups should go away.

Kind Regards,

Dave Lewis

PS Oddly, my wife's name appeared on the package and corresponce delivered, not mine. Her name was on the witness statement. I assume this will have no bearing when activated?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:47 AM
  • "dave.lewis" wrote in message news:614b023b-41c9-4f9a-b550-0d0086a49303...

Dear Noel,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am a little disappointed as Ultimate is so very quick, it's fantastic. At least the " illegal" popups should go away.

Kind Regards,

Dave Lewis

PS Oddly, my wife's name appeared on the package and corresponce delivered, not mine. Her name was on the witness statement. I assume this will have no bearing when activated?

MS doesn't care about names or anything else when the system is activated - only the hardware and the Key.

There's very little difference between Ultimate and Pro - certainly nothing that affects speed - so you should be able to do almost anything you currently do without a problem.
    If you discover that you're missing functionality you actually use, you can purchase an Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate from the MS Store

--

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:58 AM
  • Professional is the exact same code as Ultimate.  They run the same speed.  The only difference between the two is access to language packs and Bitlocker. 

You are better off with Professional anyway.  You get five more years of Microsoft Support than you do with any other edition, including Ultimate.  Professional will be supported until 2020 and Ultimate only until 2015. 

You activate the software and register the user.  It makes no difference whose name is on the order.  Activation ties the software to the computer not a person.  Registration puts the user in Microsoft's customer database.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:40 PM
    Answerer
  • Professional is the exact same code as Ultimate.  They run the same speed.  The only difference between the two is access to language packs and Bitlocker. <snip> 

There is one more obscure difference that I am aware of:  W7U provides true multiple monitor support over remote desktop, while W7P only supports spanning with multiple monitors over remote desktop.  You'd probably only encounter the difference if you had a remote computer whose displays were of different aspect ratios.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:49 PM