Trojan Horse RRS feed

• Question

• I recently experienced a Trojan Horse, which infected my Yahoo files. It sent a low class email to various contacts on my list, many were upset receiving this email, I am not sure what all was in it but was sexual in nature. I was made aware when a few friends wrote me, I did not execute the email nor surf the sites for that kind of material. Given I ran the Live care, found a Trojan horse and removed. My concern is how did it get through the Live Care protection into my computer?? The automatic scan is always on and have in the past caught various virus threats, it did not catch this one and proved to be a huge embarrassment to me. So do I need a different scan for my incoming emails??

I cannot afford to have this happen again..

• Moved by Whosane002 Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:42 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:36 PM

Answers

• No security is 100% effective. Even though OneCare found and removed a Trojan on the system, the sending of mail via a web mail account to your contacts is probably unrelated since Yahoo mail is server based. Your Yahoo account may have been compromised or one of your contacts has an infected PC and the spam email is orignating from their PC with your email address spoofed as the sender.

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:09 PM