WHS Server Recovery - Data not added to Pool RRS feed

• Question

• I just finished building a DIY WHS and was planning on moving all my data from my HP MSS to the new server. I put all the data HDDs from the MSS into the new server and did a server recovery on the new server. I was able to successfully load all the necessary sata controller card drivers, and the server recovery was a success. However, when I go into the WHS console on the new server all the hdds from the MSS were not added to the storage pool and are just sitting in the "Non Storage Hard Drives". I moved a total of 7 HDDs over from the MSS (4 in an eSATA enclosure). I am not sure where to go from here, is my only recourse to try doing another server recovery? Thanks
    Friday, September 25, 2009 8:21 PM

Answers

• And it cannot be excluded (at least not by me), that HP is doing the marks for determining this different, since it has its own recovery procedure, and therefore the disks are not properly integrated.

I believe this to be untrue, HP is using the published OEM Server Recovery process and not "its own recovery procedure." There is no marking of the disks or them not being properly integrated.

I believe dbone's issue has been with trying to perform a Server Recovery an a previous system disk that was run on the new DIY server, with the pool drives from his old server. This could leave the WHS recovery in a strange state as the D: partition on the system drive contains info about a system that does not match up with the pool drives from the MSS. It would appear that in this case the D: partition takes priority in the recovery process and WHS ignores the foreign pool drives.

He's trying the recovery again tonight with a clean system drive and I hope to see him report success. :)

http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    • Marked as answer by dbone1026 Monday, September 28, 2009 11:26 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:33 PM

All replies

• If the drives have not been detected during server installation (usually due to driver issues) your other options are described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, September 25, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Thanks. To confirm that there were no hardware or driver issues, I was able to successfully do a server reinstallation using test data/drives that I created and connected to the DIY WHS. However, whenever I take my storage drives out of my HP MediaSmart Server, place in my DIY WHS and do a server reinstallation these drives do not get added to the storage pool.
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Since this is not a supported scenario to move disks to a new server that way I would assume, only the manual method mentioned in above thread or copying from the old server to the new server directly share by share would be the possible workarounds.
    It was never fully clear, how the WHS setup routine determines, if a disk belongs to the storage pool. And it cannot be excluded (at least not by me), that HP is doing the marks for determining this different, since it has its own recovery procedure, and therefore the disks are not properly integrated.
    Are they shown in the initial reinstall screen completely?
    Olaf
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for your response. Just a bit of info. I have the HP MediaSmart EX470 and the Sans Digital TR4M eSATA enclosure for a total of 8 drives (1 O/S drive and the remaining 7 in the pool for data).

The WHS server I just built I am using the Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 Sata Controller Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121009&cm_re=supermicro_sata-_-15-121-009-_-Product). As I mentioned when doing a test server recovery I was successful recovering data created by the DIY WHS and confirmed that the SATA card worked properly, drivers, etc... When I move the 7 drives from the EX470/TR4M they are immediately recognized in the BIOS of the DIY WHS (a list of each drive shows), and also recognized when I am asked to load the SATA drivers thr first time.  Once the server reinstallation is complete, the 7 drives once again show up and are accessible in the WHS console, they are just not added to the storage pool.

So you are thinking this might be an issue with how HP handles the storage pool that does not allow those drives to migrate over to a DIY build (non HP solution as I know people have successfully done a server reinstallation moving from an older HP MediaSmart Server to a new HP MediaSmart Server)?

Regards
    Damian
    Monday, September 28, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Hi Damian,
    it is only speculative, but yes, it could be. Also the enclosure could be a problem sometimes, if it takes active influence on the disk IDs. (But in this case the internal disks should have been integrated.)
    Did the installation process complete or give an error message (leaving the WHS DVD in during all the reboots)?
    There is also often a long process for the tombstone recreation, if this gets interrupted, WHS will not know the content of these storage drives.
    Olaf
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

The WHS installation process completes without any errors (leaving the WHS DVD in the entire time). The tombstone recreation is what is not happening. I had noticed that during the installation when I did a test recovery on the server, the process which I can't remember the exact name but something like "Storage Management Service" took over 5+ minutes (I only had approx 50GB of data spread out between 2 HDDs for test purposes). I am thinking this process is the tombstone recreation as when I moved the drives over from my EX470 (7 drives, 8TB worth of data) this same exact process only took a minute or so (it should take a really long time due to the amount of data that needs to be processed), which would explain why the drives are not getting added to the pool as the tombstone recreation is not happening.

When I get home tonight I am going to do a complete reformat of the O/S drive and attempt one more time to do a server reinstallation. Worse case I will just have to copy over the data manually as suggested in the FAQ. Thanks for your help.

Cheers
    Damian
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:56 PM
  • And it cannot be excluded (at least not by me), that HP is doing the marks for determining this different, since it has its own recovery procedure, and therefore the disks are not properly integrated.

I believe this to be untrue, HP is using the published OEM Server Recovery process and not "its own recovery procedure." There is no marking of the disks or them not being properly integrated.

I believe dbone's issue has been with trying to perform a Server Recovery an a previous system disk that was run on the new DIY server, with the pool drives from his old server. This could leave the WHS recovery in a strange state as the D: partition on the system drive contains info about a system that does not match up with the pool drives from the MSS. It would appear that in this case the D: partition takes priority in the recovery process and WHS ignores the foreign pool drives.

He's trying the recovery again tonight with a clean system drive and I hope to see him report success. :)

http://www.mediasmartserver.net
    • Marked as answer by dbone1026 Monday, September 28, 2009 11:26 PM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:33 PM
  • Awesome news, the server recovery was a success, moving 7 pools drives from my MSS over to my DIY WHS. The two main issues was the SATA controller card (SASLP needs changes made in BIOS) and secondly as Alex pointed out the O/S drive has to be clean. Problem solved!!!
    Monday, September 28, 2009 11:26 PM