none
"Volume with name SYS is failing. Please try to run Repair to fix errors for disk" error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After the PP3 update i got my first "Volume with name SYS is failing" error. I first panicked and i checked all the logs of the server were i found nothing on the event viewer about any error on the drive so i did the repair as prompted from the error and reboot the machine. Everything came up ok and green and then after two weeks again the same error. Again nothing on the event viewer that can verify the error so i restarted the server and its on green now. After a bit of searching i found this topic: http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/11366-primary-volume-is-failing-really/

It seams that more and more people are having these error with no indication of an actual problem with the disk. My server only had patches up to march 2009 and it worked perfectly until the needed full update and patching for the PP3 to be installed.

Could this be a overreaction of the server that thinks the disk is failing ? maybe caused by an update over the past months or from PP3 ?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Vassilis
    Monday, January 4, 2010 3:24 PM

All replies

• I have seen a couple of these in the past two weeks and I'm fairly certain nothing is wrong with my disk. Rebooting the computer clears up the error message. I agree with you that this is a bug of some kind.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:07 PM
  • i got another one yesterday. All of the messages are on random days but in 00:01 exactly. I think this is another indication that its a bug since obviously there is a daily schedule that runs at midnight and its too sensitivity on some hiccups of the server.

Does anyone knows what are the daily maintenance tasks that are run on the server, maybe trying to pinpoint the source.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:42 AM
  • Try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:36 PM
  • @Ken Warren - running chkdsk doesn't show up anything for this particular issue. I've seen this false alert just once (on 28 December 2009), but others are seeing it regularly.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:13 PM
  • Geoff, your issue may not be the same as this poster's issue, and running chkdsk whenever you're being told that a drive is unhealthy is always a good first step. For one thing, "unhealthy" includes a lot of minor NTFS problems that will be fixed by running chkdsk with the /r parameter, which that link I provided will have you do.

By the way, I don't see a post from you detailing your issue. There's an "Ask a question" link at the top of the page, how about using it? We won't be able to help if you don't ask...

Friday, January 8, 2010 3:01 PM
  • By the way, I don't see a post from you detailing your issue. There's an "Ask a question" link at the top of the page, how about using it? We won't be able to help if you don't ask...

I was merely adding my voice to that of Vassilis C (who kicked off this thread). I have had the same error:  "Volume with name SYS is failing", and like Vassilis and others, have found no obvious cause for it. If you visit the WeGotServed forum thread referred to by Vassilis, you'll see that there seems to have been a recent upsurge in occurrences of this error, and it seems as though it may well be a false alert.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:32 PM
  • of course i run chkdsk every single time of this error and nothing is pop-up.
    Please take a few minutes and read the thread on my link and you will get an insight about this issue that is affecting many users.

As far now as my question, do you know what maintenance task is running on WHS on daily basis at midnight ?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:41 PM
  • of course i run chkdsk every single time of this error and nothing is pop-up.
    Please take a few minutes and read the thread on my link and you will get an insight about this issue that is affecting many users.

As far now as my question, do you know what maintenance task is running on WHS on daily basis at midnight ?

chkdsk (but just a quick pass, not the "full" chkdsk /r).
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:48 PM
  • chkdsk (but just a quick pass, not the "full" chkdsk /r).

can i disable that ?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:35 PM
  • No, it's part of the nightly server health checks.

Can you tell us more about your server?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:03 AM
  • sure, its a Tranquil SQA-5H server with 2GB memory and two WD green 1TB disk each. The system volume is 20GB and total of my data is ~800GB.

Since day one i'm using the same add-ons and nothing else is installed when the problem started: DiskManagement, AutoExit,WHSTweet and WHSWidget.

Also another member of the wegotserved community has oppened a bug on the MS connect site, Bug ID is 522936
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:07 AM
  • This is a known issue and won't be fixed - please see Connect issue 522936.

"We are aware of the particular issue/feature request that you have reported. This issue was taken under consideration. At this time it is not addressable.

Best wishes,

Windows Home Server Team"

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=522936&wa=wsignin1.0
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:29 PM
  • totally unacceptable!
    Not even a workaround of some kind...i don't know, disable something, change something on the registry....
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:44 AM
  • A lot/most of the people with this issue have noted that it tends to occur every four days and a server reboot (no need to do a Disk repair as the server itself doesn't recognise a disk problem) will stop the message until next time.

Saturday, February 6, 2010 10:10 AM
  • My take on that Connect issue is that there is no configurable parameter anywhere that will change the behavior that causes this, and/or there is an external (to Windows Home Server) component, perhaps a driver or timing issue, that is a factor. So there's nothing that the Windows Home Server team can do short of fixing the problem completely, which might require a lot of coding.

Unfortunately there isn't a workaround for every problem...
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 3:21 PM
  • I prefer the "take" by a poster on another forum...

I suppose the message could be read as saying:

"yes we know about it, but it's not really a problem, just an inconvenience. Besides we're all too busy working on Vail to bother with it".

But being a pessimist at heart, I can't really bring myself to believe that, and simply wish that Microsoft would be a little more explicit about whether we need to worry about this bug...
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:13 PM