Firewall will not turn on RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using One Care Live Beta 2.0 on XP Pro SP2 and I had to uninstall OC because I kept getting a warning saying that my firewall was not turned on.  Here is what I tried to do:

• Turn it on - it gave me an error saying it couldn't turn it on and to try again later or restart.
    • Stop and start the service.  It would turn on for about a minute and then turn off again.
    • Reboot.  It would turn on for about a minute and then turn off again.
    • Uninstall and reinstall.  It would turn on for about a minute and then turn off again.

Like I said I finally uninstalled because it was not working properly.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

T

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:51 PM

Answers

• In 1.x of OneCare, this would usually be indicative of a broken MSXML 4.0 installation, required for the firewall to function properly.

Searching Live Help for firewall in 2.0 returns this:

Firewall doesn't start

If the firewall service doesn't start correctly, you may be prompted to enable the firewall or you may find that you can't access or modify any firewall settings. You may also receive a message that states that the firewall service couldn't start.

To troubleshoot this issue:

1. In Microsoft Windows XP, click Start, and then click Run.

–or–

In Windows Vista, click Start, and then click in the Start Search text box.

2. Type sysdm.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    3. On the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.
    4. In the System variables box, click PATH, and then click Edit.
    5. In the Variable value box, add ;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM at the end of any existing value.
    6. Click OK three times, and then restart your computer.
    7. If the problem persists:

-steve
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:56 PM

All replies

• In 1.x of OneCare, this would usually be indicative of a broken MSXML 4.0 installation, required for the firewall to function properly.

Searching Live Help for firewall in 2.0 returns this:

Firewall doesn't start

If the firewall service doesn't start correctly, you may be prompted to enable the firewall or you may find that you can't access or modify any firewall settings. You may also receive a message that states that the firewall service couldn't start.

–or–

5. In the Variable value box, add ;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM at the end of any existing value.

-steve
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:56 PM
  • This is something I had to do as well and it works.
    Friday, July 27, 2007 11:41 AM
  • Thanks for confirming that it works for 2.0, too.

-steve

Friday, July 27, 2007 10:43 PM
  • yes same thing happened to me, it is not recognising my subscription either!.......where do I go from here?

Sunday, July 29, 2007 11:46 PM
  • You aren't support to activate the beta with your subscription ID.

-steve

Monday, July 30, 2007 1:55 AM
  • I just bought my Windows Vista Home Premium x64 and Live OneCare to protect it. I installed them just to find out that the OneCare wasnt 64 bits compatible. I looked around and found the beta. I installed it and worked just fine for a few days, but now when I turn on the computer and boot up, I get a message from the security center telling me that the firewall was off and that defender is off and no anti virus was recognized. I tried the procedure "Firewall doesn't start" but entry was already there. I pasted again and restarted but the problem was not fixed.

Right now, I'm being forced to use XP instead of Vista, fearing a virus or spyware, I just through $54 down the drain being forced to look for another antivirus and the one that I can find is norton, wich I hate.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:52 AM
  • The very first issue i had with my firewall was where OC would not start it. I had to follow these procedures to get it up and running. Otherwise, the OC icon in my tray would stay red and bug me over and over.

Check this article...it resets somethings conserning your firewall that I believer OC messes up. i never had an issue firewall-wise until immediately after i installed OC. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910659/
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:03 AM
  •  DDraco wrote:
    I just bought my Windows Vista Home Premium x64 and Live OneCare to protect it. I installed them just to find out that the OneCare wasnt 64 bits compatible. I looked around and found the beta. I installed it and worked just fine for a few days, but now when I turn on the computer and boot up, I get a message from the security center telling me that the firewall was off and that defender is off and no anti virus was recognized. I tried the procedure "Firewall doesn't start" but entry was already there. I pasted again and restarted but the problem was not fixed.

Right now, I'm being forced to use XP instead of Vista, fearing a virus or spyware, I just through $54 down the drain being forced to look for another antivirus and the one that I can find is norton, wich I hate.

Try the WMI repair fix for Vista in this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1425272&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:49 AM
  • When I was ready to go and ask for my money back, tflink saved me from a herat attack.

THANKS, it really worked. I think 'm running safe again.

Only a couple of comments.

I triend the run command but it was to fast for me, I just could not see the responce and I didnt knew how to send the commands as administrator in the run box. So, I just ran the command prompt in the accesories as administrator and after 4 tries (it takes a few minutes to stop the services and I have no patience) and a restart it worked just fine. Thanks again.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 2:06 AM
  • Glad that it worked for you.

-steve

Friday, August 3, 2007 1:09 AM
  • I m  having the same problem now and I like onecare but they are not giving me information clearly

Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:14 AM
  •  darkvator wrote:

I m  having the same problem now and I like onecare but they are not giving me information clearly

Do you mean that the Security Center is misreporting the status of your protection? That's a Wndows problem, not a OneCare problem - and the link in the above post contains the way to fix the corrupt WMI database.

-steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:32 AM
  • I am using XP with SP2 and I have the same problem.  Is the fix for the problem in Vista provided above suitable for XP/SP2, or will following the suggestion likely complicate matters further?

-- Jim

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:14 PM
  • Jim:

Do you mean the fix for a corrupt WMI database causing Security Center to mis-report the status? If so, the post contains a solution that works on XP as well as in Vista.

If your firewall won't start, the following is from Instant Help for 2:

Firewall doesn't start

–or–

For more information on how to troubleshoot the OneCare firewall - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910659/en-us

-steve

Monday, September 24, 2007 4:36 PM
  • I just started to get this problem with the firewall yesterday.  All of a sudden the security alert went red with the warning that the firewall was turned off.  If I try to turn on the firewall from the Onecare application window it feezes hard and I need to go to the task manager in order to quit it.  None of the solutions in this thread have helped.  I'm on Vista 64 bit.  I'm going to try a rollback with system restore and see if that helps things.

Friday, September 28, 2007 8:19 AM
  •  jason_lizarraga wrote:
    I just started to get this problem with the firewall yesterday.  All of a sudden the security alert went red with the warning that the firewall was turned off.  If I try to turn on the firewall from the Onecare application window it feezes hard and I need to go to the task manager in order to quit it.  None of the solutions in this thread have helped.  I'm on Vista 64 bit.  I'm going to try a rollback with system restore and see if that helps things.

I'd contact support and file a bug on the problem - 

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2 -use the "Get More Help" link in the lower right of the page to contact support via email.

Please file a bug on Connect:  https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

-steve

Friday, September 28, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Steve,

The WMI fix for Vista link aboive is no longer valid. Do you have a newer link that works?

I have the issue that Windows Security Alert is telling me tha the Firewall & Malware protection is turned off. This happened after I upgraded to the latest OneCare version.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:00 AM
  • Sure - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

Is OneCare actually in green status? Then it is the WMI issue.

-steve

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:47 PM
  • I have done everything short of removing and reinstallin the product. "Fix it" does not work. Path name was changed.  MSXML was removed and re-installed. I did get fixes that changed (and limited) my backups a week ago. I'm not sure how to get help on this problem. Never had problems like this with other security software.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:17 PM
  •  john gospodarek wrote:

I have done everything short of removing and reinstallin the product. "Fix it" does not work. Path name was changed.  MSXML was removed and re-installed. I did get fixes that changed (and limited) my backups a week ago. I'm not sure how to get help on this problem. Never had problems like this with other security software.

John, if all of the published solutions have not resolved the problem, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 6:22 PM
  • Unlike most people, I don't just go modifying code on my box without first asking "why" is it all of the sudden necessary for me to modify the command path for this app? It worked fine up until now, why the sudden variable? What happened?

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:41 PM
  • What is the specific problem you are facing? This thread is over a year old. If your firewall has stopped working, try this tool:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2468376&SiteID=2

Contact support if it doesn't fix it:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Why? Because things break. Something may have gotten corrupt, an update may have caused it, a file system glitch, any number of other possibilities...

-steve

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 2:15 PM
  • this is  what  i  did.   ( control panel-add and remove programs-add remove windows components-scroll down to  management and monitoring tools- click details and make sure that simple...  and  wmi... both are checked.. apply and close  then  scroll down to networking services.. make sure  gateway... etc  and rip listener , simple tcpip  and  upn user inter face is   checked  that means  a  total of  four  check marks are there.. apply and  close.. let  windows  load  those  components  and  close  out  the add and  remove programs.... reboot and  see if  onecare  turns  firewall  on...... hope it  works  for  you
    Marlene Davis
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:42 PM