Can we use FileSync feature of Sync Framework to work with blobs? RRS feed

• Question

• As Sync Framework implements a synchronization provider that can be used to synchronize files and subfolders that are contained in a folder on a file system. The basic steps as said in Sync Framework help is as follows:

To synchronize files between two folders, an application completes the following basic steps:

1. Creates an FileSyncProvider object to represent each folder.

2. Passes the two providers to an SyncOrchestrator object, and specifies one as the source provider and the other as the destination provider.

3. Calls Synchronize to start the synchronization session.

I want to know whether there is a method to extend this functionality to blob storage of azure. Can I some how sync files between a local system folder and blob container. Are there any code samples available to help me make this functionality?

Friday, July 23, 2010 6:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rahul_Rai,

the following link should help you.

"Synchronizing Files to Windows Azure Storage" - http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/sync/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3638

• Proposed as answer by Ganeshan Friday, July 23, 2010 4:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Rahul_Rai Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:21 AM
    Friday, July 23, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Hi Ganeshan,

I found the sample really interesting. However, I found it a bit odd that metadata should be used to look out for blobs that should be synced. This creates a dependency on the tool that would be used for sync, as by default no metadata info is appended to blob. The sample didnot work for me, it could only create a metadata file when file was to be brought down from cloud. It works perfectly fine for upload but not for download. Any suggestions for where I could be going wrong.

Thanks!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:35 AM