Official-looking Microsft message that my Windows copy has been "Pirated" RRS feed

• Question

• My computer will not open properly - instead, a message pops up that looks very offically Microsoft, that claims my copy of winows has been pirated, and I need to supply credit card information and othe rpersonal information to get it restored.  I have tried F8 and starting in Safe Mode, but then it just scrolls down a bunch of DOS-style lines of entries, and just sits there.  I can't get into Windows far enough to try and restore, as this message pops up.  If I try to "X" out of the message, I get a message that memory can't be read.  Have you seen this happening to others, and what can I do?
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:48 PM

Answers

• This is not the place to ask about desktop versions of Windows. For that try the XP or Vista forums, respectively.

That said, don't provide the information being requested. Your system is infected with a Trojan horse of some sort, seeking to steal your credit card information. Consult with an anti-virus vendor for assistance in cleaning your machine, or use the system recovery disks supplied by your computer's manufacturer.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:33 PM