sharing folder empty! RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder how to make sharing folders available in remote access.

I know we have the usual folders as music, video and so on, but if I want to make a new one called mp3 I found out how to do that through the "add" tab.

But how to ut something into it? do I need to copy everything into the folder from my usb disc?

or, is it possible to keep my mp3 folder on my usb disc, and add a shortcut or a folder that will lead the way to mye mp3 folder?
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:42 PM

Answers

• You can only share files that are in your server's shares through the Remote Access web site. You can't put a shortcut to another disk in the folder and share the files as though they were in the share themselves. So yes, you will need to copy the files you want to share to your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:26 PM

All replies

• You can only share files that are in your server's shares through the Remote Access web site. You can't put a shortcut to another disk in the folder and share the files as though they were in the share themselves. So yes, you will need to copy the files you want to share to your server.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:26 PM
  • okay.

but is it possible to share a folder thats in a disk thats in the server but not as a part of the "storage area"?

Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Not using the tools in Windows Home Server. You would have to log in to the server directly and create the share manually. And even then, it wouldn't be available on the Remote Access web site.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 4:55 PM
  • okay.

so any of my files on my disks that are in the "non storage area" ar just impossible to get on my web access page to share with friends and family?
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:09 PM
  • That's correct. The only folders that can appear to anyone logging on remotely, are the Shared Folders. Suprisingly enough, that's why they are called shared folders I guess.
    It is possible, if you know what you are doing, to make other folders visible through Server 2003, but it certainly isn't part of WHS, or even recommended unless you know exactly how to do so and more importantly, how to set the security for that folder.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 5:47 PM
  • okay.

a bit strange that all of us need to be strangled by those 5-6 folders.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:13 PM
  • You're not limited to just those folders, you can create as many as you like, as long as they are done through the Console and as long as you don't remove/rename the existing ones. Also, while creating these folders, you can set the access permissions for the people who might use them.

I guess the rational behind it being this way, is because the whole system is aimed at the less technical user, so doing it this way, means that the security cannot be compromised by mistake.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Given that external logins can only access the Shared Folders, I wonder why they're so excited about making customers configure a strong password to protect those files?

I've also got a ReadyNAS NV on my home network, based on Linux. Its web server can give you remote access to whatever files you want to make available, without making yet another copy of them. I have it configured for RAID5, and it works quite well as a rock solid file store. I'm comparing the WHS to the ReadyNAS as I learn about the WHS.

Chris Shaker

• Edited by cjshaker Friday, October 17, 2008 7:42 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:41 AM
  • I'd recommend you take a look at Whiist. it makes this process very easy.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 7:47 AM
  • Thank you Colin, whiist does indeed look interesting. Can it be used to quickly create a photo bucket type web site equivalent?
    I'll try to take a look later, when my brain is still functional.

Chris

Friday, October 17, 2008 10:24 AM
  • I find it wery strange that its not possible to do:

add a new USB drive, add a new shared folder, then choose where the folder is located.

then as a result of this, the new folder should appear on the whs web page.

easy and efficient!

as long as the folder you want to share is fysically attatched to the server computer this SHOULD be easy to do.

I mean, we are in 2008 and this is not exactly atom recearching to make such a menu. 

is there any add ins that make this possible?
    Friday, October 17, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Why a strong password #1: Personal, private, financial, and/or identity-related information. I don't know about you, but my server has (among other things) family medical records, financial records, email backups, etc. I don't want to get into a debate over what really makes up a strong password, but I want a strong password for any account that can access that data outside my home.

Why a strong password #2: Remote access users who are using Internet Explorer also have access to any WHS-joined computer that supports incoming Remote Desktop connections.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Well.. Im in the same boat as Mr. Hammond here.. in my server, i want to make the "Storage Area" reserved for backups, and the "Non-Storage Area" reserved for shared media.. I have a good folderstructure and good system in my media files already, and are happy with where they are, i dont need to have them as a second copy in the server. 

I mean, hey, this is a server ment for Media Center extenders and media sharing, aswell as backups, there must be a way to add a folder to the share that is not in the "Storage area"  why would this be a security breech?  worried about simple users mistakes? make a wizard, tell the wizard this folder is one i would like to share, and this is the sharing names for it, and then the wizard would do the settings needed to make it shared, with same security settings as the original ones. This must be possible, right? its just very inconvenient having to actually copy loads and loads of data on to the server, when its already on a disk attached to it? 

If i have a MyBook RAID enabled USB disk in mirror RAID connected to the server, i already have the redundancy needed for my media, i want to share that in my WHS without having to format the USB disk and to add that to the pool... that just messes everything up in that hard drive.

Lars
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:14 PM
  • finally! anotherone who have the same issue.

I mean, I have a disk attached to my server with nice file structure that I have used long time to build the way I like.

If I copy them into the storage pool, it will turn into a mess right?

and we all have heard several times about people loosing their data in a server crash. I mean, things do happen!

for example, if the power go out in a backup sequence, there is MAJOR trouble ahead. the whs is just pouring files into a big mess and there is no option to keep the struckture as far as I know.

so, thats why I want to just attach my USB drive, dont include it in the storage pool, and IF things do happen( power loss, or other incidents) the drive is all fine, just standing beside the computer, and still having its structure safe. and if I am in need, just move my disc to another comuputer without having to "remove" if and maybe set the life of my entire server in damage.

there has been situations when removing a disc, things starts to be unstable.

all I need to to then, is reinstall my server, and apply the right folder from the USB drive that I want to have availible on web page.

microsoft want to make this easy. thats good. and mostly they did. but making something so easy that it starting to be complicated is not good.

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:28 PM
  • So.... This is actually not possible?  In my oppinion, this is a major flaw in WHS. There are alot of users of this, and all like it in their own way.. It should not be brainsurgery to make this possible in WHS.. If i upgrade to standard Windows Server 2003 or maybe some later equivalent version to WHS, would this be possible? And would i still have access to the nice consoles or atleast the media streaming possibilities that is found in WHS? could it do the same?

Lars
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Skauber said:

Well.. Im in the same boat as Mr. Hammond here.. in my server, i want to make the "Storage Area" reserved for backups, and the "Non-Storage Area" reserved for shared media.. I have a good folderstructure and good system in my media files already, and are happy with where they are, i dont need to have them as a second copy in the server. 

I mean, hey, this is a server ment for Media Center extenders and media sharing, aswell as backups, there must be a way to add a folder to the share that is not in the "Storage area"  why would this be a security breech?

It's not a security breach (that strong password question is completely unrelated to how WHS handles storage).  It's simply WHS needs full control of all hard drives from the start due to the way it handles files in the background.  In order for that to happen, the drive is formatted so it can set it up the way it needs to be set up.

Skauber said:

worried about simple users mistakes? make a wizard, tell the wizard this folder is one i would like to share, and this is the sharing names for it, and then the wizard would do the settings needed to make it shared, with same security settings as the original ones. This must be possible, right?

No, it's not.

Skauber said:

its just very inconvenient having to actually copy loads and loads of data on to the server, when its already on a disk attached to it? 

If i have a MyBook RAID enabled USB disk in mirror RAID connected to the server, i already have the redundancy needed for my media, i want to share that in my WHS without having to format the USB disk and to add that to the pool... that just messes everything up in that hard drive.

Lars
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:47 PM
  • Mr. Hammond said:

finally! anotherone who have the same issue.

I mean, I have a disk attached to my server with nice file structure that I have used long time to build the way I like.

If I copy them into the storage pool, it will turn into a mess right?

No, just copy it to the server with the structure in tact as you have it.

Mr. Hammond said:

and we all have heard several times about people loosing their data in a server crash. I mean, things do happen!

for example, if the power go out in a backup sequence, there is MAJOR trouble ahead. the whs is just pouring files into a big mess and there is no option to keep the struckture as far as I know.

so, thats why I want to just attach my USB drive, dont include it in the storage pool, and IF things do happen( power loss, or other incidents) the drive is all fine, just standing beside the computer, and still having its structure safe. and if I am in need, just move my disc to another comuputer without having to "remove" if and maybe set the life of my entire server in damage.

there has been situations when removing a disc, things starts to be unstable.

all I need to to then, is reinstall my server, and apply the right folder from the USB drive that I want to have availible on web page.

microsoft want to make this easy. thats good. and mostly they did. but making something so easy that it starting to be complicated is not good.

Saturday, October 18, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Skauber said:

So.... This is actually not possible?  In my oppinion, this is a major flaw in WHS. There are alot of users of this, and all like it in their own way.. It should not be brainsurgery to make this possible in WHS.. If i upgrade to standard Windows Server 2003 or maybe some later equivalent version to WHS, would this be possible?

There is no upgrade path from WHS to any other OS.  If you want to use Server 2003/20008, you would have to start over from scratch.

Skauber said:

And would i still have access to the nice consoles or atleast the media streaming possibilities that is found in WHS? could it do the same?

Lars

To the best of my knowledge, yes, but you would have to do everything yourself (design your own website, set up your own IIS, configure your own media streaming service, etc).  Not to mention you wouldn't have Drive Extender at all.  That's the advantage of WHS.  Everything is already done for you.  You just answer a few questions and you're off and running.
    Saturday, October 18, 2008 3:26 PM