Disk 0  500Gb
    Disk 1 640Gb
    Disk 2 500Gb

Shared folders: 591Gb
    Duplication 30Gb
    PC Backups 1.8Gb
    System 21Gb
    Freespace 881Gb

When checking the Diskmanagement Add In it says Disk 0 has 10% used and Disk 1 has 99% used.  Disk 2 was just added today and has 0% used so far. (I hope duplicated data will be balanced to it during the day)

Question:  How can that be Disk 1 is full ??? Should not duplicated data be balanced?
    • Edited by JME2009 Friday, April 3, 2009 9:22 AM
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:38 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    the distribution is normal: Windows Home Server attempts to keep the data together and so fills one disk first.
    The second data disk (the DATA volume on your system disk in this case) will used mainly for the duplicated folders and only for other data, if there is only a very small amount of space free on the main data drive.
    For more details you can download the Windows Home Server Drive Extender technical brief from the WHS Support site.

The strange issue in your output is the size of PC Backups - I don't think, that a complete PC can be backed up with 1.8 GByte.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, April 3, 2009 9:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    the distribution is normal: Windows Home Server attempts to keep the data together and so fills one disk first.
    The second data disk (the DATA volume on your system disk in this case) will used mainly for the duplicated folders and only for other data, if there is only a very small amount of space free on the main data drive.
    For more details you can download the Windows Home Server Drive Extender technical brief from the WHS Support site.

The strange issue in your output is the size of PC Backups - I don't think, that a complete PC can be backed up with 1.8 GByte.

Olaf

Friday, April 3, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Well, I tried to do my first backup of my htpc a while ago, but it got stuck and since I do not want to use pcbackups, I could as well remove that storage of backup.

EDIT. Sorry!  PC backups was only 1.8 MB  !     Seems like I can't remove it though. Backup is turned off for all pc's but 1.8M i still occupied. No big deal ?
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:24 AM
  • 1.8 MB are no big deal, I have seen, that even after removing all computers from backup and running backup cleanup a few, also bigger, files remain.
    For this small amout it is not necessary to perform any unsupported manual interception, I think.
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Disk 0 (system) of 500Gb has 10% used, which would be 21Gb systemdata and 30Gb which is from duplicated folders.
    Disk 1 640 has 99% used which would be 30Gb of duplicated folders and 591Gb of shared folders.
    Disk 2 is not used until I add more data, and would then probably be put on Disk 0 first.
    Duplicated folders are only placed onto two disks, not three or more?

Right?

Friday, April 3, 2009 9:56 AM
  • Duplicated folders are only placed onto two disks, not three or more?

right, the name of the feature says, that folders are duplicated, and not triplicated or quadricated. ;-)
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:34 PM