none
How to capture and generalize a datascience vm in azure? RRS feed

• Question

• Somehow i am not able to capture an image of the datascience vm in the portal. Can anyone jump in and clarify what is going on and how to solve it?

greetings

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:42 PM

All replies

• I read somewhere that marketplace was an image with scripts so it couldn't be generalised, unfortunately I can't find the reference at the moment so I might be wrong and confusing it with something else!

A.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:42 PM
  • Hi,

You should be able to create an image of a DSVM by following these steps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/linux/capture-image

If you cannot, please paste the exact error you are receiving here so we can help further.

Thursday, August 16, 2018 10:58 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you Paul.

This tutorial is aimed at linux machines. Does the same approach work for windows as well?

Sunday, August 19, 2018 2:15 PM
  • Use this tutorial for Windows:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/capture-image-resource

Monday, August 20, 2018 4:17 PM
    Owner
  • Dear Paul,

I've sys prepped the vm (step 1 till 6)  before capturing according to the tutorial but after launching the captured image from the portal i still get:

Is there something i missed?

error message

"Failed to start virtual machine 'bastiaan'. Error: Creating a virtual machine from Marketplace image requires Plan information in the request."

Steps i've taken:

1. Sign in to the Windows virtual machine.
    2. Open the Command Prompt window as an administrator. Change the directory to %windir%\system32\sysprep, and then run sysprep.exe.
    3. In the System Preparation Tool dialog box, select Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE), and make sure that the Generalize check box is selected.
    4. In Shutdown Options, select Shutdown.
    5. Click OK.

IN the portal

1. Open the portal.
    2. In the menu on the left, click Virtual Machines and then select the VM from the list.
    3. In the page for the VM, on the upper menu, click Capture.
    4. In Name, type the name that you would like to use for the image.
    5. In Resource group either select Create new and type in a name, or select Use existing and select a resource group to use from the drop-down list.
    6. If you want to delete the source VM after the image has been created, select Automatically delete this virtual machine after creating the image.
    7. When you are done, click Create.
    8. After the image is created, you will see it as an Image resource in the list of resources in the resource group.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:03 PM
  • Because this image is based on the Windows 2016 DSVM Marketplace image, you must deploy it with an ARM template and include the plan information. Our sample template here has the correct plan info:

https://github.com/Azure/DataScienceVM/blob/master/Scripts/CreateDSVM/Windows2016/azuredeploy.json

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 5:56 PM
    Owner