Replacing Primary Drive / Duplication RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK,

I decided I was not going to replace the primary drive in the MSS then decided I was... I had a question hopefully someone could help me with which would make up my mind for me.

I enabled duplication on some of the folders, when you have two drive only these files are on both D and the shared pool, if you have more than 2 drives does WHS/MSS move these files off of the D drive and onto 2 drives in the shared pool or is there always a copy in the D partion?

Cheers and Merry Christmas (opps sorry in Canada this is not politically correct)

Happy Holidays!!!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:40 AM

All replies

• If there are "shadows" (what Microsoft calls the actual files that tombstones point to) stored on the D: partition, adding a drive won't always cause those files to immediately move to the new drive. You can help the situation by turning off duplication then turning it back on (WHS won't use the system drive for primary storage if there's a second drive with space for the file, so the duplicates on the D: partition will be removed, then recreacted on the new drive).

In your case, I would turn on duplication for all shares and wait for balancing to complete, then replace the system drive and perform a server reinstallation. This will let you preserve your files (you'll likely lose any backups you've done). Reinstallation will take a long time, as Windows Home Server will recreate all the missing shadows and tombstones as part of the process. Then you'll have to recreate users, reinstall add-ins and re-do any other customizations you may have done.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

If you have multiple drives, the D: partion, apart from being used in the staging process when loading files, won't have any data on it. When your other drives fill up, apart from about 20GB, which WHS reserves, then data will be stored on the D: drive as a last resort.

However, if you already have data on the D: drive, for example, you only have two drives, and then you add further drives, that data will remain on the D: drive while new data is loaded on the new drives. If you go into the shares and maybe  move or alter the files, (with duplication turned Off,) then re-enable duplication, WHS will probably then move what it now thinks are news files, to the new drives.  - Does that make sense?

If it doesn't, you might need to move the files off the shares and then back on, to trigger the redistribution.

Colin

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 4:20 PM