SunRocket VOIP is blocking my router RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SunRocket device sitting between my modem and my router. If I take it out of the loop (killing my phone service)  I can see my website at <myserver>.livenode.com. Otherwise ports 443 and 4125 seem to be blocked. I am trying to get an answer from SunRocket, but they seem to know less than I do.

Does anyone have any experience hosting a web site using a VOIP device?

I can access the web site locally by 192.168.3.8 with or without the Sunrocket device, btw.

Thanks

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 3:54 AM

Answers

• I don't believe there's any real requirement that the SunRocket device be installed between your modem and router; that's just how SunRocket normally illustrates it. How about trying to attach it to one of your router's LAN ports? You might have to open additional ports in your firewall, but I assume SR will be able to help you with that.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:33 AM

All replies

• I don't believe there's any real requirement that the SunRocket device be installed between your modem and router; that's just how SunRocket normally illustrates it. How about trying to attach it to one of your router's LAN ports? You might have to open additional ports in your firewall, but I assume SR will be able to help you with that.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:33 AM
  • Thanks, that's a great point. I am calling SunRocket (again) today and I will explore this idea with them.

Mike

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 12:24 PM
  • I've been using SunRocket for over a year. They prefer that you set it up with Modem followed by Gizmo followed by Router. I have set mine up as Modem then Router with Gizmo attached to the Router. I have found some voice issues with heavy uploads affecting my voice transmittions but not so much reception problems during heavy downloads.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:28 AM
  • My guess is that some voice degradation is the only consquence. Placing the VOIP "gizmo" between the router and modem gives the "gizmo" a QoS advantage of sorts.

Did it solve the website problem? You marked the suggestion as an answer so I am assuming it did.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:29 AM
  • Putting the router behind the modem and in front of the SunRocket gizmo fixed the problem. Thanks to those who answered this thread.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 4:12 AM
  • You can also configure the gizmo to assign the router as a DMZ(thus freeing up all ports).  I no longer have Sunrocket though, so I can't tell you how to do it.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:07 PM