none
Failed Hard Disk in SERVER. 1 of 5 physical Hard Drives. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 5 identical physical Hard Drives in my server. I was notified by the WHS Software that one has failed. Everything with the WHS Software has continued to work. Backups are performed every night, etc.

How do I determine which physical Drive failed.

If I replace it with a different size of Drive, can I expect any problems.

Thanks

Dan Schneider

Saturday, February 2, 2008 4:02 AM

Answers

• If the drive has failed completely, you can first use the WHS console to remove it from the storage pool, then you can shut down your server and just disconnect a drive. If you get the wrong drive, no harm will be done, though you'll get another network health warning. You just shut down again, connect that drive, and disconnect a different drive. Eventually you'll get the right one.

And no, this isn't terribly convenient or user friendly. If you check over in the developer subforum, you'll find someone has written an add-in that will help in identification of disks. I haven't installed it, so I don't know for sure it will help in your case, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 4:46 AM
  • The Add-In Ken is talking about is here: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmgt.html
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:57 AM

All replies

• If the drive has failed completely, you can first use the WHS console to remove it from the storage pool, then you can shut down your server and just disconnect a drive. If you get the wrong drive, no harm will be done, though you'll get another network health warning. You just shut down again, connect that drive, and disconnect a different drive. Eventually you'll get the right one.

And no, this isn't terribly convenient or user friendly. If you check over in the developer subforum, you'll find someone has written an add-in that will help in identification of disks. I haven't installed it, so I don't know for sure it will help in your case, but it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 4:46 AM
  • The Add-In Ken is talking about is here: http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmgt.html
    Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:57 AM