ALLOW HOTMAIL E-MAIL ON XV6800 POCKET OUTLOOK RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I recently switched from the Verizon Wireless XV6700 featuring Windows Mobile 5 to the Verizon Wireless XV6800 featuring Windows Mobile 6 Professional.  

With my WM5 device, I had no problem checking my Hotmail account through Pocket MSN.  I was disturbed and confused by the fact that my new WM6 device lacks the ability to check my Hotmail account other than via mobile.live.com in Internet Explorer.  

I can easily check my Gmail account through Pocket Outlook, but somehow, my attempts to setup my Hotmail account in Pocket Outlook haVE failed.  Is Microsoft trying to push Hotmail customers to other mail clients such as Yahoo! or Gmail?  It makes no sense whatsoever that this functionality has been removed from the XV6800.  Do you really expect me to pay for pop3 service for my free Hotmail account?  Do you really expect people to buy Pocket MSN?  What's next, buy a desktop computer with Windows Vista, and then force your customers to pay for Internet Explorer?

When you attempt to setup Hotmail as a new mail account in Pocket Outlook, it tells you to visit http://windowsmobile.com/emailsetup/live, and that site says that Pocket MSN is available for purchase through MSN (provides a link which does not work), but who would pay for it?  The Pocket MSN site claims it is available for purchase through Handango, which it isn't.  Again, not planning on paying for it anyway. 

I just want to check my stupid Hotmail account on my $600 phone.  Is that too much to ask?

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 4:39 PM

All replies

• By default, Windows Live is built into the OS when released by Microsoft. Unfortunately, some Mobile operators choose to remove it and Verizon is one among them. See if this link helps: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=1575980
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Thank you very much, the Pocket MSN cab file worked on my 6800.  Verizon may be the one who removed Pocket MSN from the device, but Microsoft is the one who decided that you could not setup Hotmail without Pocket MSN.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:11 PM
  • You are right, but Microsoft is not alone. Yahoo requires that you have Yahoo GO!. I expect to see similar software for other internet players as well.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:24 AM
  • Does this Pocket MSN cab file you speak of include Live integration (MSN Messenger) in addition to the Hotmail setup?  In other words, does the cab file bring back all the capabilities that Verizon removed by removing Pocket MSN from the XV6800?
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 5:57 AM
  • This link will bring Windows Live to your device:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=334621&highlight=WLM+build+1400.CAB

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 11:28 AM
  • This application from the above link also works on the XV6900 a.k.a the Touch a.k.a the Vogue. I tried it on my device and it works flawlessly. Thanks for the great post, and Thank you XDA!

I was able to follow the link directly from the Mobile IE on my device, save the cab file to my device then run the file and save it to my device as well.

To download the CAB file all you have to do is register and that is free and takes about 3 minutes.

Sunday, June 8, 2008 11:47 PM