Windows home server data pool drive MBR repair RRS feed

• Question

• What is the status of a drive when you are getting around 20 different partitions after a scan with Partition Recovery software?

The drive in question was out of a Windows Home Server Data pool, the original partition was marked as active then quick formatted. It looks like a lot of the data is still fine on the drive after a scan with Active Partition Recovery and/or File Recovery but it seems to be all over the place.

Is there a formula to follow to manually enter a new MBR, or a way to get the MBR back to the original even though there are so many partitions with the right labels but wrong size? The drive is Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 931.5 GB.

Thank you for your advice.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:42 PM

All replies

• A drive that's in use as a server storage drive will have a single partition, named DATA, which will span the entire drive (or the first 2 terabytes, if the disk is larger). If you've removed the drive from the server physically and quick formatted it elsewhere, I would look for that. Unfortunately, there's no supported or certain way to reintegrate your drive with your server's storage pool with the data on it intact.

Why are you asking? Did you accidentally format a drive in your server? If so, did you have duplication turned on for all shares? If you did, just remove the "missing" drive from server storage. Your server should recreate any missing file shadows.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:59 PM
  • Thanks Ken!

Duplication wasn't on for all shares, but in trying to make room to remove a drive I turned off duplication. Also having two of the above drives, one wouldn't connect to the pool and I thought it may have been empty, my attempts to add the drive to the pool led me to formatting it, after that I seemed to have lost a week to a month’s worth of files, with only an empty shell of a file left. 

I will try to add an empty drive. But i'm getting out of the WHS, I just don't like the whole pool and not knowing what file is one what drive. I like to mirror a drive if I want redundance.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:27 PM
  • If you can recover the volume (personally I had good success with GetDataBack for NTFS) the FAQ  How to recover data after server failure shows you, where you should find the files.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:13 PM
  • Thank you Olaf,

I'm running Runtime's Disk Explorer as we speak in the hopes of salvaging the MBR, if successful I should just have to replace the drive back into the WHS and all we be good. Meantime it would appear the WHS is doing something with the addition of the new drive. Both advices may prove to be positive.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:39 AM