MCE recording to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched the forums and checked the FAQ's but I cannot seem to find specific instruction to set up TV recordings to directly record to a WHS server from a MCE2005 "client".  I have seen info to set up watched folder in this thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1274030&SiteID=50

Ideally I would like to set up WHS to be the central storage for 2 MCE machines.  Also would a 100Mb network be able to handle 4 SD recording and 2HD recordings concurrently?  This is a worst case scenario of course...

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• I had the same questions, so I went hunting. Here are two links that I used:

http://thegreenbutton.com/blogs/mike/archive/2007/01/12/158079.aspx

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/162647.aspx

The above are more in tune to Vista, but the server side instructions worked well fror WHS.  Here's some more MCE2005-centric info:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/thread/134595.aspx

They should help you if you follow them. Let me know if you have any other questions ...

- Jim
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 5:15 PM
  •  

Playing Pre-Recorded TV from WHS or Recording Live TV to WHS .

Works for Vista , MCE 2005 and Xbox360.

If you do not need to record live TV to the WHS, and just need it to store the recorded TV files and play from WHS, you can  miss out  "Recording Live TV to WHS" but you will still need the Batch file on the WHS.
    All Recorded TV stored on the WHS will show in "Recorded TV" on Vista or MCE 2005 and in "Recorded TV" in MCE UI on the Xbox360 ,

On the WHS you need to enable media sharing on the Music, Photos and Videos shares. You can do that by clicking on the Gear icon in the top right of the WHS Console, then click on the Shared Folders.

Then setup a Guest Account with no password, this will be so you can see the recorded TV from WHS on your Xbox360 in Media Center UI under "Recorded TV"

From WHS console add a share folder call "Recorded TV" to WHS default shared folders.

Settings for Windows Home Server

1 In Run, type "gpedit.msc", then click OK .

Then go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options

Find the entry "Network access: Let Everyone permissions also apply to anonymous users", double click and set to "Enabled"

2 Click Start, Run, and type "regedit", and click OK.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Double click the NullSessionShares key, and add the value "Recorded TV" at the end of the existing entries, then click OK.

3 Reboot WHS.

Log on back on to WHS right click the shared "Recorded TV" folder then go to Properties Click on the Share and Security tab then Permissions add "Anonymous Logon" click "Full Control" box then click on OK.

4 Log off DO NOT REBOOT WHS the Share Permissions and Security Permissions will be removed if you reboot, there is a batch file to fix the problem see below ).

Settings for MCE 2005 or Vista .

On Vista or MCE 2005 Run, "regedit".

1 Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording

Double click the "WatchedFolders" key

Add the UNC path of WHS shared folder. \\Server\Recorded TV

2 Reboot the MCE 2005 or if you have Vista reboot that.

Recording Live TV to WHS

For Vista or MCE 2005

1 If you need to record live TV to WHS here is the setting go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording

Double click the "RecordPath" key

then add \\Server\Recorded TV

2 Reboot the MCE 2005 or if you have Vista reboot that.

Batch file Fix for Anonymous Logon after WHS Reboots.

These settings where needed because if WHS reboots, the Share Permissions and Security Permissions will be removed.

Copy and Paste the batch file into notepad and save it as "whs.bat" DO NOT save it as a text file, add the the batch file to WHS startup menu.

Now if WHS reboots the batch well reset all the Share Permissions and Security Permissions for recorded TV folder.

Here is the Batch file I made below (Copy and Paste it).

Edit you will need to logon to WHS then log off, for the batch file to work

--------------------------------------------------

@ECHO OFF

net share "Recorded TV" /Delete

net share "Recorded TV"="D:\Shares\Recorded TV" /GRANT:Everyone,FULL

ECHO Y| cacls "D:\shares\Recorded TV" /G "Anonymous logon":F "Everyone":F "Administrators":F "CREATOR OWNER":F

end

----------------------------------------------------

Ps: Thanks to Ian Dixon mce mvp who has also been working on this.

Richard Miller mce mvp.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:00 PM
  • Richard is there a way to get to the WHS systems gpedit.msc without , Keyboard, Monitor, Mouse? Another word through Control Panel. This of course is assuming I'm understanding the iinstructions!
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:21 PM
  • Da figured out My last ? sorry!
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:27 PM
  • Remote desktop into it, then in the run line type "gpedit.msc"
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:30 PM
  • I thought I saw a thread where you don't need the batch file anymore if you make some other settings. Is this true or not Thanks in Advance. Just got this up over weekend.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 6:34 PM
  • Richard I followed these steps and still conneot get it to record to the WHS. What I have found is MCE under Vista Ultimate is Defaulting back to C:\Users\Public\ Recorded TV\  I make the registry additions or changes you suggest and after rebooting check the registry and the changes are there but as soon as I open MCE the registry entry recorded path is being changed or updated back to the Original settings. What am I doing wrong sir?
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:21 PM
  • Run regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording  "RecordPath"
    what do you have there?

Ian Dixon (another MVP) has this working on Vista go to http://iandixon.co.uk/cs/forums/thread/2608.aspx

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Yes, you can do it without giving everyone full control of the share...

Go to services, and find the ehome service (I think that's what it's called, I'm at work and don't have it infront of me), and change the Logon tab to reflect a user account that is on your WHS box.  That is the service that connects to the shared data.  If it run as a known account (instead of 'system') then WHS will trust that account to connect to the share. 

This also works when connecting multiple MCE machines together.  I've done this with great success...

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:46 PM
  • First Under Recording I see a Restricted fold that I can't look at, But here are the entries under Recording

Name                                                         Type                                          Data

(Defualt)                                                  REG_SZ                                 Value not set

AudioEncodingQuality                          REG_Multi_SZ                       384000  384000 384000 384000

EncodingQuality                                    REG_Multi_SZ                       2500000 3000000 4500000 7500000

LastRecordPath                                    REG_SZ                                 C:\Users\Public\recorded tv

Quota                                                      REG_SZ                                 241591910400

RecordPath                                            REG_SZ                                 C:\Users\Public\recored tv\      (this one keeps changing after loading MCE)

WatchedFolders                                    REG_Multi_SZ                       \\ mikesc380-svr1\Recorded TV c:\Users\Public\recorded tv\  this is how it has been since I added server path

Thanks mikesc380

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Is this the name of your home server "mikesc380-svr1"? if it is set the recorded path to "\\ mikesc380-svr1\Recorded TV"  

On WHS do you have "Recorded TV" folder setup under the default shared folders?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:13 PM
  • Yes to both the Questions And I can see Recorded TV through the console even. I have changed it to \\mikesc380-svr1\Recorded TV  several times but when I load MC it is changing the RecordPath back to C:\users\public\ Recorded TV  . I'll try again reboot and load MC and let you no.

mikesc380

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:19 PM
  • Another words after loading MC and going into Recorder Storage \\mikesc380-svr1\Recorded TV is not listed just the default c: drive is listed then if I check the Registry it is back to the default c path won't update or let me point it.

Thanks mikesc380

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:23 PM
  • Okay Richard I can get it to record to WHS but if anyone goes into MCE and  runs MCE setup thats what changes Registry.  And also if you go to recorded folders area and save anything. I want to see it listed in that area of MCE why can't we add it in Reg. Sorry folks for any confusion just feel we need more Admin management in console after all, after login through Remote Desktop found issues in sevice manager on WHS how we supost to no if devices are correct if not available in console? Thanks for all you folks help! And thank You Richard

mikesc380

Thursday, April 26, 2007 5:34 PM
  • mikesc380 email me with your phone number,   autopaint at aol.com.

Thursday, April 26, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Sorry but works only half by me.

When i start Live TV it records to my WHS watchedfolder but when i push the Record button then my Vista MCE as XP MCE crashes.

When i rewind Live TV there are no problems, or can't the watchedfolders and recordpath be used togeter

Got a Gigabit network so that can't be a problem.

Got full acces to the shared folder on the WHS.

Got 400gig free in the shared folder.

I'll dont get it... Please help?

Regards.

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:10 PM
  • The WatchedFolders Registry key on the MCE PC is only if you need to just store recorded TV on the WHS.
    The RecordPath and WatchedFolders registry key are need on the MCE PC if you storing and recording to WHS.
    You can have more than one WatchedFolder key, but you can only have one Recordpath key on MCE PC.

This will work on MCE 2005 and Vista, Ian Dixon an other MCE MVP has it working on Vista, I have it working on MCE 2005 it works check your settings again.
    Link: http://iandixon.co.uk/cs/forums/2751/ShowThread.aspx#2751

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Richard been awhile since I replied what is going on. Okay reinstalled WHS reset all registry settings and applied batch file,  then reloaded Workstation w/ MCE 2005 and used MCE tweek to reassign watched folders, and recorded path. Go it to work on a test record and thought I had it fixed. But after rebooting the MCE system found that I got a low disk space available error when trying to record or schedule a recording. I wnet and deleted the test record and still got the same error. After trying to figure this issue out I used MCE Tweak to look at the settings and noticed that again it had changed back to the MCE path's But was still getting error had to reset them again in MCE Tweak to there defaults before getting rid of low disk error. I can record now again on the MCE system and I can copy or move the recordings to the WHS and they will play Can also access them with the Xbox 360 through Media center extender interface only though. No they don't showup in Computers  Videos interface Music and pictures do. Recording straight to WHS would be great but seems very flakey at least on my systems. It's to bad there is no way to run the extender program on the WHS from the console so that the WHS would get the User MCX1, and the MCRD users group with the right Locale and security policies, Really don't like enabling the Guest account.

Okay still having alot of issues getting Vista to work, and of course No MCE tweak yet available and been getting corrupt disk error's run check disk and it's deleting Vista have to reinstall, because the restore off the server didn't work. Good luck guy's always back up to a good backup solution and verify it works. I still have my most import data somewhere else.......

Monday, May 14, 2007 2:11 PM
  • Is this really true, because I can't get it to work (in Vista).  I tried using the Windows Media Center Receiver Service this way, and edited the registry to \\Server\RecordedTV\ and it won't work.      It still says I don't have enough space to record, even after editing the quota.     
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 5:43 AM
  • Sorry if this is a numpty question...  I don't have an Xbox of any description at home, do I need to do the anonymoys permissions part and batch file if an Xbox isn't being used?  If this is the case then presumably the registry hack for the MCE will be sufficient for me to do what I need?

Friday, September 14, 2007 2:21 PM
  • Does this batch file delete the files in the recorded share. I used this config and my WHS rebooted and afterwards the video files in the share were no longer there? Assuming that's not the way it's intended to work as not much point in having your files all erased if the server reboots. THx.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Can this configuration be used with Webguide? Is it possible to use the video folder in webguide as the "recorded tv" share instead of creating a new one? Would you set it up the same way?

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  harrysam2 wrote:
    Does this batch file delete the files in the recorded share. I used this config and my WHS rebooted and afterwards the video files in the share were no longer there? Assuming that's not the way it's intended to work as not much point in having your files all erased if the server reboots. THx.

No the batch file will not delete file in the Recorded TV folder.
    This command "net share "Recorded TV" /Delete " does not delete recorded TV files.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 3:57 PM
  •  Lee Dodgson wrote:

Sorry if this is a numpty question...  I don't have an Xbox of any description at home, do I need to do the anonymoys permissions part and batch file if an Xbox isn't being used?  If this is the case then presumably the registry hack for the MCE will be sufficient for me to do what I need?

If you don't have a Xbox or an extender then yes you can run it as a service, but if you do it that way the Xbox 360 extender and the V2 extenders will not work.

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Hi Richard! I have setup everything for Playing Pre-Recorded TV from WHS and it works fine only if I already have TV recorded to WHS.

The problem occurs when I want to Record Live TV to WHS. This doesn't work. On WHS, in the recorded TV folder, I can see that MCE2005 tried to record to WHS because the file is there but the size of the file is 0kb. There is even a second attempt few seconds later but still the file size is 0kb.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Klode

Monday, March 31, 2008 4:34 PM
  •  Klode wrote:

Hi Richard! I have setup everything for Playing Pre-Recorded TV from WHS and it works fine only if I already have TV recorded to WHS.

The problem occurs when I want to Record Live TV to WHS. This doesn't work. On WHS, in the recorded TV folder, I can see that MCE2005 tried to record to WHS because the file is there but the size of the file is 0kb. There is even a second attempt few seconds later but still the file size is 0kb.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Klode

Do you (Media Center) have permission to write to the recorded TV folder on WHS?
    Monday, March 31, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Well, I don't know... I did what is in your thread not more, not less. So, how do I check if I have permission? I know every user on WHS have full control over the Recorded TV folder in the console.

By the way, I have put your WHS.bat in startup menu in case of reboot. I rebooted the server and when I logged onto the console in the shared folders, recorded TV was not there anymore. So I rdp to the server in D:\shares\Recorded TV and everything was there. Only the permissions were gone in the console. Strange behavior...

Klode

Monday, March 31, 2008 11:31 PM
  •  

Edit: The batch file will not work on reboot, you will need to logon to WHS then log off, for the batch file to work
    Monday, March 31, 2008 11:52 PM
  • OK, now I understand. Because the batch file is in the start menu, I need to logon in WHS so it can run the file. That makes sense. If the server reboot and I don't login/logoff, it won't work until then. That's not really handy if I'm away. Anyway, it's better than nothing. For the recording part, I finally got it to work. Hope it keeps working.

Thank you for your help!

Klode

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:51 AM
  •  Klode wrote:

OK, now I understand. Because the batch file is in the start menu, I need to logon in WHS so it can run the file. That makes sense. If the server reboot and I don't login/logoff, it won't work until then. That's not really handy if I'm away. Anyway, it's better than nothing. For the recording part, I finally got it to work. Hope it keeps working.

Thank you for your help!

Klode

Good,  glad you got Media Center to record TV to WHS.
    Now you have permission too write to WHS recorded TV folder you should be ok.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:58 AM