Network previously used no longer exists, so can't back up files RRS feed

• Question

•  

My computer used to back up to a network location which no longer exists. I want to backup to my external hard drive. But I can't change the location of the back up, even through the "Configure backup" tab. When I click on "Change Credentials" I'm promted to a user name and a password I don't have access to. How can I remove this network and be allowed to back up wherever I want?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:33 AM

Answers

• Try resetting the backup plane:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:48 PM

All replies

• Try resetting the backup plane:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Thursday, October 23, 2008 3:48 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks, but that still didn't work. It still shows that I'm going to backup to my network. I'm using Vista, does that matter?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Using Vista should not matter. However, you should be able to reset the plan to turn off backup completely and then configure a new backup and selecting a new location. Did you configure Centralized backup?

-steve

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:00 PM
  • Yup, I was able to turn off back up altogether. And it lets me walk through the steps of configuring a backup and I'm able to chose the proper location there. Only, when I save it, I still have the line that says Network Backup and below says it's backing up to a particular backup.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Now that you've reset the backup plan and location and saved the plan, perhaps the display is incorrect. Let's try actually doing a new backup and see if it still tries to access the old location.

If it does, then please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:35 PM