Help! Problem with first restore RRS feed

• Question

• An important file seems to have gotten corrupted on one of my home computers but I thought that I was safe because I have been backing up with WHS for 1.5 years.  From that computer, I logged into the WHS console and and tried to restore that file.  When I try to get to that file which is in the \All Users tree, it comes up with "Access is denied" pop-up.  Ho can that happen?  How do I fix it so that I can recover that file?  Please help!
    Monday, May 4, 2009 6:22 PM

All replies

• Can you please explain in some more detail what you are doing to access the file;

1. Client Operating System. If you have other clients also please try from the other clients
    2. Are you logged on to the client as a user with Administrator priviliges (If not please try this)
    3. Are you logged on to the client PC with a user that is also defined in the windows home server console?
    4. Do you have access to the files in the shares from the client PC
    5. WHS version (Homes server console, Settings, Resources. If all listed version numbers should be  6.0.2030.0)
    6. Did you try to open one or more backups? Please try a few backups, including the most recent and the oldest backup.
    7. Full error message

Please note, if the file could have been corrupted long time ago, so the oldest backup is probably your best shot.

Monday, May 4, 2009 7:10 PM
  • 1)  This client system is running Vista Home Premium.  I also have two other Vista clients and one XP client.
    2)  Yes, I am logged on as a user with admin privileges (only one Windows account on the system)
    3)  Yes, logged on with account and password that is defined in WHS
    4)  Yes, I can access shares.
    5)  All are at 6.0.2030.0
    6)  I tried to open two backups (by the way, they are all listed as being successful)
    7)  The error message is... "Z:\Documents and Settings is not accessible."  Followed by "Access is denied."

I use this file every day (except weekends) for my home-based business.  I was able to access it last on Friday with no problems.  Thus far, I have tried every backup over the last three days with the same results.
    Monday, May 4, 2009 7:58 PM
  • I use this file every day (except weekends) for my home-based business.  I was able to access it last on Friday with no problems.  Thus far, I have tried every backup over the last three days with the same results.

OK, so please try opening the file from a backup before last Friday.

Can you open other files in the same folder? If not can you open files in another folder?

What type of file is causing the problem? Are you using any kind of encryption?

Another thing you can try is running chkdsk on the partition of the client where the file is stored (from a command prompt  run chkdsk c: \f \r if the file stored on the C partition; if it ask to run at next boot answer Y)
    • Edited by brubberModerator Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:41 AM some more questions / suggestions
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:01 AM
  • I tried earlier backups with the same results.  I cannot open that folder at all but can open other folders and files.  I am not using any encryption.  I ran chkdsk but it didn't find anything and didn't make a difference.  I did find something else though...

On the client in question, it will not let me open Application Data, Desktop, Documents or Favorites in the All Users folder.  It gave me that same 'Access Denied' message.  The file that I needed to retore was my Quickbooks data file which was stored by default in All Users.  When I checked the security permissions, there were two entries for 'Everyone'.  One was set to 'Allow' and the other was set to 'Deny'.  I removed the 'Everyone' set to 'Deny' and now Quickbooks can open it's data file again.

Unfortunately, the backup on WHS has the same permission settings so it would not let me access the file to restore it.  So now the question is what caused the permissions to change.  I'm assuming that something happened on the client at some point and the daily backups just inherited the permission settings of the client.  Would that be true?
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:38 PM