none
Unable to ask a question in forum RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I'm facing this issue. When ever I try to post a question and press "Submit", a dialog comes up with "Leave Page" and "Stay Page". Because of this I could not post any question. Did any one of you facing this issue? What is the solution for this???
    Monday, January 30, 2012 4:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Which particular forum you're having this issue? How did you post this question?
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Monday, January 30, 2012 3:15 PM
  • I'm not able to post in any of the forum? I just clicked on the "Ask question" link and tried to submit the question.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:04 AM
  • I'm not able to post in any of the forum? I just clicked on the "Ask question" link and tried to submit the question.

You are able to ask question as your question is already appearing in this forum.

Also, you can click "Ask a question" link and put your question header in title and question text in body. You could change the forum category from "Post this to" and you will see "(change)" link, "Select the appropriate forum category" and "Select the forum" you want to ask in.

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Hasham Not sure. Sometimes the question is getting posted. Thatshow you are able to see my question. But most of the time it is giving me the dialog to leave the page.
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:17 AM
  • Hasham Not sure. Sometimes the question is getting posted. Thatshow you are able to see my question. But most of the time it is giving me the dialog to leave the page.

I am sure it will give your two options, leave the page / stay on page. Type in your whole question and then click submit button to post your question.

Thanks, Hasham

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:02 AM
  • My question what is the intention of this dialog. We never got this before?
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:27 AM
  • No if the dialog appear, you cannot click on the submit button as it is a modal dialog
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:27 AM
  • No if the dialog appear, you cannot click on the submit button as it is a modal dialog

Please see if this helps you;

Please let me know if this doesn’t work for you. Hope I have answered you correctly.

Thanks, Hasham

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Again you are saying how to post a question. I'm saying when you click on submit I'm getting unexpected error.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Is it in a particular thread (in this case please give a link) or always? You seem to be able to post in this thread fine, so this may be a local problem. I do also sometimes get an error (empty error message). In this case I usually abandon the reply, re-load the thread and re-try. In most cases this technique works. 

My blog
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:19 PM
  • Recently I'm facing this issue. When ever I try to post a question and press "Submit", a dialog comes up with "Leave Page" and "Stay Page". Because of this I could not post any question.

Using which browser and on which OS?

Did any one of you facing this issue? What is the solution for this???

I saw it a few days ago when I was using IE10 on W8.   I think it was probably related to this

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/c0a2adc6-ceaa-4172-8f65-9cdb22a6330a

in which case I would suspect the HTML that I was posting with (which I had derived from another user's post which had probably been created on another HTML editor.)

Notice in that thread that Brent informed me that a new editor is imminent, so you could try the QA version he linked to (as a diagnostic) or wait for it to come into production.   FWIW I think it is still quirky but should be usable once you get used to all the quirks.   The only really obvious changes I noticed is that the HTML source view will be a popup frame instead of popup window and unfortunately, they have removed the Path: hint at the bottom of the composition frame.  In that regard they are verging towards the lack of functionality that Answers users get, except that users of these forums will at least still have a kind of HTML source editor to help them work around any other deficiencies they encounter.

BTW I suspect that your symptom could probably be avoided if you could get into the HTML source to try modifying it.  With the example I cited above I could not see any HTML source.  The popup window opened but it was blank.   However, yesterday I was reminded of another potential workaround I had seen before: in IE with View, Style, No Style (Alt-V,y,N) you can see the some of the hidden HTML and perhaps even edit it that way.   Unfortunately I had forgotten about that possibility when I was having my troubles on IE10.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:14 PM
  • I also have experienced an error a few times when I click Submit for a reply. I usually get an empty box. I try to copy my reply to the clipboard, then cancel, then go back to the main forum page, refresh, then try again. That's the only solution I know of. I don't know what happens to cause the error. Sometimes it might be that the thread got updated while I typed my reply. But sometimes I'm sure nothing changed in the thread.

We expect a new forum editor to be deployed Feb. 2. This may resolve some of the strange things that happen occaisionally.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I also have experienced an error a few times when I click Submit for a reply. I usually get an empty box.

@ Richard

This one is different.   (I have seen both.)   It's the same kind of warning message that you would see if you were just trying to close a tab while you had a composition frame going but in this case there is no recovery or continuation.

I got burned by this editor this morning while unsuccessfully trying to open a new page in a new tab and losing my composition frame without any such warning.  That would have been helpful.  In addition I couldn't immediately just begin again because there was some kind of half session still active that made a restart attempt go into the Plain text/HTML source "no quote", "no toolbar" mode.   Instead of trying to use that mode I started a new browser session.

Since I have a clear enough idea about how to reproduce both I suppose I should try it on the QA server.   OTOH  that version will be production tomorrow so what would it matter if I did?   <eg>

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:20 PM
  • I got this error (what you're talking about, Richard) today a few times. In last case I had to re-post my solution and it therefore came 2 minutes later than someone's else solution in the same thread.

My blog
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Win7 64bits OS And FireFox 10.0 and even with IE 9
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Still a problem?

We just had a forum update.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 7:12 PM
    Owner
  • The forum updates and fixes seem to have taken care of this issue. I can't repro it anymore.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:25 PM
    Owner
  • The funny thing is that I got that exact error just recently. BTW, seeing gear icons now. I did a few Ctrl + F5 with no avail. I came here form the profile activity tab. Also, the font is small.

My blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012 10:05 PM
  • I had to refresh 6 times before I could see moderator after Naomi's name. I've never seen the gears myself.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:50 PM
  • I'm not seeing it right now on any names in this thread. Except when I posted this reply, I can see it on my last reply.

My blog

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Syed, could you try again?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, February 17, 2012 12:22 AM
    Owner
  • Seems to be fixed now. Can anyone duplicate?

Thanks!

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:56 AM
    Owner
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

DWORD = OverrideDefaultAddressSelection

Value data: = 0

My original extract.

From

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver/thread/4c31f436-edda-4733-910b-0f778b4dce14#2d84d0e9-bff5-4008-8a3f-6ff50ed8d039

(BTW I sure hope this insert Hyperlink bug gets fixed soon.   I still haven't retrained myself not to hit Enter.)

Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:23 PM