none
Log file : how can I know which files were concerned? RRS feed

• Question

• I use SyncToy for a week now. I use it with the task scheduler at the end of each working day. I'd like to know after the soft has worked, which files were concerned (copied, overwritten, deleted etc...). I can see in the log file the number of files, but not which ones...

thanks

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:47 AM

Answers

• Sorry - we do not put that information into the log file.

Thanks

Deepa

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:30 PM
  • If you're programmers you could use the underlying file sync engine that Synctoy uses and write your own little app to do the sync. Check out the File Sync related articles at msdn.com/sync and see if the File Sync Provider will work for you. It provider all the events that you would need to print this information out yourself.  There's even a managed code (C#) samples in the Sync Framework SDK that show how to synchronize files using the File Sync Provider.

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

Thanks

Deepa

Friday, October 10, 2008 4:30 PM
  •  

Is there a plan to include this?  It would be extremely helpful to know what files were being sync'd.  Enabling verbose logging seems to only display what folders are being examined (beyond the main folder being sync'd).  Also, verbose logging only appears to work in the GUI, but not from the CLI - is this true?

Thanks,

sawall

Friday, October 10, 2008 10:20 PM
  • I agree. This would be very nice. Perhaps this is deliberately ommitted to promote a more enterprise-level product. If so, which enterprise-level product (with a GUI) should we use to get reporting of files copies?
    Friday, November 14, 2008 12:56 PM
  • If you're programmers you could use the underlying file sync engine that Synctoy uses and write your own little app to do the sync. Check out the File Sync related articles at msdn.com/sync and see if the File Sync Provider will work for you. It provider all the events that you would need to print this information out yourself.  There's even a managed code (C#) samples in the Sync Framework SDK that show how to synchronize files using the File Sync Provider.

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:50 PM
    Answerer

Thanks

Deepa

Why not?

The GUI run shows which actions will be executed.  I can't be that hard for you to include this in the log files.

Monday, August 16, 2010 9:29 PM