none
SyncToy creating strange files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have been using the StncToy.2.0 for almost 1 year and recently I had a very strange problem.  After synchronizing my memory stick with the HD (that's what I usually do with SyncToy), I saw that the size of the directories in both synchronized media almost doubled.  A more careful examination revealed that in addition to the existing files, I have got exact copies of original files which had been duplicated with a name derived from the original file name.  For example, the file "test.doc" got a copy with the name "file.1.doc."  So now I have a lot of space taken by these duplicated files and I do not know what happened and what to do with them.  BTW, I am talking about 3,000 files.  Anybody have seen something like that?  Tom.
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 4:39 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the tip.  I finally discovered what was the problem.  Since I added an external drive to the system, the letter configuration of the drives has changed and unfortunately SyncToy does not update them automatically and worse than that, Synctoy messes up with the letters.  Therefore, right and left drives, which were C:\ and F:\ before the change ended up being C:\ and C:\ .  Then, the Synctoy was updating files into the same drive and directory.  That is why it was crating duplicate files with ".1" symbot in the filenames.
    Tom
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• HI,

Interesting.

Can you make sure these duplicated files generated due to SyncToy?

please check the create or modified date in duplicated files before and after sync via Synctoy.

Joey Liang
    Your potential our passion This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 2, 2009 10:27 AM
  • Thanks for the tip.  I finally discovered what was the problem.  Since I added an external drive to the system, the letter configuration of the drives has changed and unfortunately SyncToy does not update them automatically and worse than that, Synctoy messes up with the letters.  Therefore, right and left drives, which were C:\ and F:\ before the change ended up being C:\ and C:\ .  Then, the Synctoy was updating files into the same drive and directory.  That is why it was crating duplicate files with ".1" symbot in the filenames.
    Tom
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:18 PM