Missing tabs in home server console RRS feed

• Question

• I just noticed today when i logged into my Home Server console that my tab for remote access is missing and I think there may have been a backup tab there as well but can't quiet remember. I know these tabs where there just a week ago and I am hoping someone can tell me why they disappeared. I have googled this and it appears several people have had this issue, but no resolution has been found. Hoping someone out there can get me past this. I am hoping that the arrival of PP3 today may fix it.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:25 PM

Answers

• I think I need to make myself clear that the tabs that are missing are not the tabs from the WHS console, but when I access my WHS from the remote access webpage you can enable. If I go to http://myWHS.homeserver.com my login page comes up and I can log in. The only tabs I then see are Home and Shared Folders. Last week there was also a Computers tab (I think that was the correct name) and one other which I am drawing a blank on. Those other tabs have been there since I bought this unit serveral years ago.
    As Olaf has suggested, use Internet Explorer and see if the Computers tab is visible. There is no Backups tab, and never has been, in the Remote Access web site.

You need to use Internet Explorer to see the Computers tab because all of the functionality (Remote Desktop to home computers, Windows Home Server console access) available from that tab requires the Remote Desktop ActiveX control, and ActiveX is only supported in Internet Explorer. If you're using Firefox, you can try the IETab add-in for Firefox, which will host Internet Explorer in a Firefox browser tab. That way you can get full functionality in Firefox. I'm not aware of add-ins for any other browsers that will provide similar functionality, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Scott Micale Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:23 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:18 PM

All replies

• Please check if you have the same problem on other clients or when you open the console from the WHS desktop. If not please try uninstalling the WHS Connector software on the client, reboot, then reinstall the connector from http://yourservername:55000. If you have recently installed new software, windows updates or made any other modification please try and revert (using system restore point)

If you have the same problem on other clients and also on your server desktop please check the server event logs (Start, Run, type eventvwr.msc and Hit Enter) and the console logs in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs" for any errors. Also if you have recently made any modifications to your homeserver (for example installed / uninstalled software or Add-ins) please try and revert. Probably you already tried rebooting the server. If not please do.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Brubber,

I think I need to make myself clear that the tabs that are missing are not the tabs from the WHS console, but when I access my WHS from the remote access webpage you can enable. If I go to http://myWHS.homeserver.com my login page comes up and I can log in. The only tabs I then see are Home and Shared Folders. Last week there was also a Computers tab (I think that was the correct name) and one other which I am drawing a blank on. Those other tabs have been there since I bought this unit serveral years ago.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:24 AM
  • Do you use Internet Explorer or another Browser?
    ActiveX support is needed for this feature, so the browser must fit (or have an plugin installed for supporting ActiveX).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:11 PM
  • OK, I was confused because you mentioned WHS console. I guess you are using IE7 or IE8 to open the server remote access webpage? If not please try using either of these before proceeding

If PP3 update doesn't fix (you should know by now) you can try:

PLEASE NOTE: The procedure outlined below is unsupported, and if you make any errors you can mess up your serveer

1. disable remote access (whs console, settings)
    2. Logon to your server desktop (remote desktop is  fine)
    3. Open explorer window, browse to C:\WHS
    4. Execute all files starting with "umra" (in alphabetical order)
    5. Reboot
    6 Configure remote access and check if everything is OK now.

If it still not works your best option is probably server reinstall (should normally preserve data and backups, however you will have to redo all post install modifications such as join clients, create users install Add-ins and so on). Server reinstall is the only supported option.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:11 PM
  • I think I need to make myself clear that the tabs that are missing are not the tabs from the WHS console, but when I access my WHS from the remote access webpage you can enable. If I go to http://myWHS.homeserver.com my login page comes up and I can log in. The only tabs I then see are Home and Shared Folders. Last week there was also a Computers tab (I think that was the correct name) and one other which I am drawing a blank on. Those other tabs have been there since I bought this unit serveral years ago.
    As Olaf has suggested, use Internet Explorer and see if the Computers tab is visible. There is no Backups tab, and never has been, in the Remote Access web site.

You need to use Internet Explorer to see the Computers tab because all of the functionality (Remote Desktop to home computers, Windows Home Server console access) available from that tab requires the Remote Desktop ActiveX control, and ActiveX is only supported in Internet Explorer. If you're using Firefox, you can try the IETab add-in for Firefox, which will host Internet Explorer in a Firefox browser tab. That way you can get full functionality in Firefox. I'm not aware of add-ins for any other browsers that will provide similar functionality, I'm afraid.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Scott Micale Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:23 PM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 2:18 PM
  • I am using Firefox on my Mac if that matters!
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:16 PM
  • OK guys looks like it is a firefox issue. I went to my windows 7 machine and just tried it and those options are there.

Thanks for your help!
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:23 PM