2 email addresses feeding a single queue RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if it is possible to have more than one email address to go into a single queue. We curently have support mail coming from two addresses (support@old-domain.com and support@newdomain.com). I would like both to go into the same queue.

Thanks,
    Ron
    Monday, April 6, 2009 11:44 PM

Answers

• I don't think this is possible out of the box, but I have two suggestions for you, a simple one and a more complicated but neat one.

- Simple: create a forwarding rule in Exchange (supposing you run exchange) so that each email sent to old-omain gets forwarded to newdomain. Then your queue will have to monitor only the newdomain address.

- Neat: create two queues, one for each of the email addresses. Let's call them OLD and NEW. Create a workflow triggered by E-Mail received (i.e. created) which will check whether the email was sent to old-domain. If the check passes, i.e. the email was indeed sent to old-domain, assign the e-mail to the other queue (NEW).

This way you only have to check on the NEW queue. Each email that is pulled by CRM into the OLD queue will be automatically assigned by workflow to the new queue.

If you want to make this even more generic you could have one queue that aggregates emails from several queue. Th workflow will decide (based on the TO field) whether an email needs to be assigned to the aggregated queue.

Check this for reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/02/19/e-mail-to-case-lead-using-crm-4-workflow.aspx

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:03 AM
  • Hi Ron, try using Recipient To instead than To in the check condition. There you can type the address without lookup.

As for the other question, you can safely edit workflows while users are on the system. Only when you publish them you risk that workflows are triggered by unaware users, so only publish workflows that are completely tested and ready.

One thing I do while testing is make my workflows start only on demand (i.e. I remove all the trigger conditions), and I launch them manually.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:23 AM

All replies

• I don't think this is possible out of the box, but I have two suggestions for you, a simple one and a more complicated but neat one.

- Simple: create a forwarding rule in Exchange (supposing you run exchange) so that each email sent to old-omain gets forwarded to newdomain. Then your queue will have to monitor only the newdomain address.

- Neat: create two queues, one for each of the email addresses. Let's call them OLD and NEW. Create a workflow triggered by E-Mail received (i.e. created) which will check whether the email was sent to old-domain. If the check passes, i.e. the email was indeed sent to old-domain, assign the e-mail to the other queue (NEW).

This way you only have to check on the NEW queue. Each email that is pulled by CRM into the OLD queue will be automatically assigned by workflow to the new queue.

If you want to make this even more generic you could have one queue that aggregates emails from several queue. Th workflow will decide (based on the TO field) whether an email needs to be assigned to the aggregated queue.

Check this for reference: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2008/02/19/e-mail-to-case-lead-using-crm-4-workflow.aspx

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:03 AM

I'm going to look into the exchange forwarding rule, but I'm very interested in the Workflow idea, because I need to learn how to set up workflows anyway. We have not used this element of CRM yet and I realize we are missing out on a lot of the power of the program.

I am trying to set up the workflow, so I have done the following:

1. Created a new workflow (entity=email; event=create

2. When I go to insert the condition I selected "check conditions", then "check entity conditions"

3. In the Create Condition I select email for the entity; TO for the field; contains in the next box; then when I go to fill in the final box (using the search dialog that pops up) this is where my problems begin. I'm not sure how I insert the domain address. I created a user that has the email address that I am looking for - but whenever I try to search for it, my system locks up.

I think I'm missing something in this process. I would have hoped that I could just type in the domain name, but it doesn't seem to have away of doing that.

On a broader note, should you only work in the workflow manager when all other users are logged out?

Thanks for any help on this.

-Ron

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Hi Ron, try using Recipient To instead than To in the check condition. There you can type the address without lookup.

As for the other question, you can safely edit workflows while users are on the system. Only when you publish them you risk that workflows are triggered by unaware users, so only publish workflows that are completely tested and ready.

One thing I do while testing is make my workflows start only on demand (i.e. I remove all the trigger conditions), and I launch them manually.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 1:23 AM