Can't Backup files as backup drive is full - Need to delete files on disk RRS feed

• Question

• There appears to be massive duplication of files on my backup drive.  The One Care Backup file is 110GB - surely this is too large (my C Drive is only 56GB).  I would like to delete the file and start again, but it will not let me delete any of the folders or sub-folders (it states "cannot delete DO_NOT_DELETE: Access is denied").

Please Help...
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 8:41 PM

Answers

• Jake,

If the backup drive is external or at least a separate drive with nothing else on it, you should be able to simply reformat it completely.  If it does contain some other data, can you simply copy that data to another drive temporarily, reformat the drive and copy the data back?

If you can't reformat the drive, there's something deeper wrong here since nothing that OneCare does to protect the data should be able to stop a format.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Jake Garner Monday, May 4, 2009 6:28 PM
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:52 PM
  • It isn't "massive duplication" - it is how incremental backups work. The first backup is all files per your backup plan. All subsequent backups *add* to this by backing up new and changed files and updating the backup catalogs to denote files that don't exists any longer in the current snapshot of the system. So, yes, the backup will fill the drive over time and it will be much larger than what is on your base drive.
    See this post:
    FAQ: How to Delete Backups

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:58 AM

All replies

• It isn't "massive duplication" - it is how incremental backups work. The first backup is all files per your backup plan. All subsequent backups *add* to this by backing up new and changed files and updating the backup catalogs to denote files that don't exists any longer in the current snapshot of the system. So, yes, the backup will fill the drive over time and it will be much larger than what is on your base drive.
    See this post:

-steve
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:58 AM
  • Steve

Thanks for your reply - okay, so it's not a "massive duplication" but in my simple mind, I don't get why something can't be simply backed up by saving what is on the disk I'm trying to backup - whatever, there are many arcane computer issues that I will never understand.  What I didn't mention is that I have already seen various posts about how to delete DO_NOT_DELETE files, including the  one you directed me to, and nothing seems to work - is there another way of deleting these files?

Thanks again,

Jake
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Jake,

If the backup drive is external or at least a separate drive with nothing else on it, you should be able to simply reformat it completely.  If it does contain some other data, can you simply copy that data to another drive temporarily, reformat the drive and copy the data back?

If you can't reformat the drive, there's something deeper wrong here since nothing that OneCare does to protect the data should be able to stop a format.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by Jake Garner Monday, May 4, 2009 6:28 PM
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Support can assist if you are unable to delete the old backup so that you can start over again.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Monday, May 4, 2009 1:08 AM
  • Thanks Guys, One Care Bear's answer sorted me out.  I copied the files I wanted to save onto another drive and reformatted.

Very much appreciated.

Best regards.

Monday, May 4, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Glad that you got it sorted. :-)
    -steve
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 12:54 PM
  • I hope I am not the only one using Live OneCare that thinks reformatting a drive to delete a backup file is ridiculous and an awful extreme measure to get rid of old backup files.

Why doesn’t Live OneCare have an option in the Backup and Restore area of the program to clean out old back up files that are wasting space our your drive.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:25 AM
  • The original reason was probably to avoid simple deletion mistakes by the user, since this is often how data gets lost in the first place.  At a deeper level, there have been quite a few instances of malware which purposefully corrupt specific data files in an attempt to coerce the owner into paying for the [possible] return of the files.

No matter what the original reasons were however, the point is now almost completely moot, since further development of OneCare is unlikely.  The only issue remaining is the removal of these backups once those now using OneCare Backup have migrated to something else by the end of 2010.

Though there has been discussion of possible tools to aid in this transition, I personally don't expect any and believe that the current guidance here in the forums is all that is ever likely to exist.  In any case, if you make the assumption that this will be true and plan accordingly, you won't be disappointed if no additional tools are ever made available.

Rob
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I hope I am not the only one using Live OneCare that thinks reformatting a drive to delete a backup file is ridiculous and an awful extreme measure to get rid of old backup files.

Why doesn’t Live OneCare have an option in the Backup and Restore area of the program to clean out old back up files that are wasting space our your drive.

Formatting the drive is not your only option.

You'll note that I also don't know why they never provided a maintenance function for backup cleanup.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:06 PM