Best Practice in Migrating from WHS v1 to WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. What is the best practice to migrate from old WHS in Server A to new WHS 2011 in Server B? I have been searching for a document which discusses migrating from an old to new WHS servers, but I have not been able to locate it. I even checked the WHS Unleashed book (for 2011), and it does not mention in its table of content about upgading or migrating from the old WHS version.

Thanks in advanced.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:30 PM

All replies

• Assuming you have both servers available, just copy your existing data from old to new via your LAN - hopefully you have Gigabit connectivity or it will take forever.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:10 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi PhilipJH. Thank you for the response. If I copy the existing data, wouldn't all of their file date and time change to the copy date and time? I wish to keep the file dates intact.

Plus, what happens to my user accounts? I assume I would have to re-create them since there appears to be no OS-level backup and restore that I can do in order to perform the systems migration.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:54 PM
  • The creation date for your files will change but the "last modified" date will remain - I don't think there is a way around that.

User accounts, settings, client computer backups etc. from your old system will need to be recreated as there is no migration path from WHS1 to WHS2011.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Just to add to this aswell,

You can only have one connector installed at a time, so you need to use the OLD (WHS v1) shared folder shortcut that you have on your desktop and install the NEW (WHS v2) connector and then access the shares to copy/cut and paste the folders across.

Just noting this as it tripped me up :)

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks Tiberium. I definitely will keep that in mind.
    Friday, July 22, 2011 11:52 AM
  • If you plan to bring both old and new services online at the same time, know that it is impossible to change the server name in WHS 2011 once installed.  More details here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/680489/inability-to-change-server-name-should-be-made-clear-in-setup-and-in-docs

Saturday, July 23, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Thanks Gary for the info. The new server will have a new name and static IP address from the old server, so I should not have a conflict (at least computer-wise :-) )
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Hello!

I have a similar problem in migrating but unlike treet007, i dont have 2 servers running:

I plan to update my HP X510 from WHSv1 to WHS2011 since price of WHS 2011 has been decreased to approx 40€
    Installation can be done via unattended USB-Flash key on old SATA HDD.

Now I have to get my data & files to new WHS2011.
    Old configuration (WHSv1 with folder duplication) was:
    1st HDD: 1TB for System + files
    2nd HDD: 1TB for Files
    3rd HDD: 1TB for Server Backup (including files) installed in tray 3.

I also have left one 1TB HDD in my PC which I can use in the WHS2011, but there is
    still data on it so I have to copy them to server before erasing this HDD.

Now my question is, how do i get the data migrated from the old HDDs
    to the new Server 2011? Can i insert e.g. 2nd or 3rd HDD to the new
    WHS2011 installation? Because i don't want to by 1 or 2 ne HDDs and
    even if i would I dont now exactly how to copy files over?

So what is the correct way on migrating Data and Files from WHSv1 HDD storage pool to WHS2011 if you only have one hardware server?

Thanks in advance!
    Kind regards!
    Markus

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Markus

The easiest way is to copy all your data from your WHS1 to another computer before converting it to WHS2011. After that, copy the data back to your new server.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 12:51 PM
  • If your backup of your V1 server is current, then I would simply proceed with a new installation. This will wipe the system disk, but should leave secondary disks alone, then it will create the default shares on the system disk. After that:

• Delete all data on the secondary disk.
    • Connect your backup disk to your server, or to a client computer.
    • Copy one share at a time from your most recent backup to your server's shares. As your system disk begins to fill up, move shares from the system disk to the secondary disk.

Once you're satisfied that your data is intact, you can configure the backup disk as a server backup disk for Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hello!

thanks for your answer! But, I feel a little bit uncertain about this procedure! What when data get corruptet when copying from WHS to
    another PC and then again to WHS? Besides this, it will take a very long time to do this. So there is no way on removing the Data-HDD`s
    and reinserting them after the new WHS 2011 has been set up?

I thought I can install WHS 2011 on 220GB HDD drive and after setting up everything, reinserting the 2 Data-HDDs. Then migrating the data
    to the new System but it seems there is no such a funciton in WHS2011?

Kind regards!
    Markus

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hello Ken!

Thanks for your post! So if I understood you right: I should remove all Disks except the System HDD and install WHS2011.
    After that, i insert Backup HDD (from Tray3) again into Server and copy data from Backup disk to server-shares?
    If I do this, i also can insert the two other HDDs erase theam and directly move the share away from system HDD?

So I plan to insert a other HDD as system drive, so old WHS v1 will remain on 1TB HDD which was originally installed by HP.
    And than procede like above? I hope i did?

Thanks in advance!
    Best Regards!
    Markus from Austria

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 7:15 PM
  • If you plan to bring both old and new services online at the same time, know that it is impossible to change the server name in WHS 2011 once installed. 

Glad to know that now. But can I change my WHSv1 machine's name? (I.e., give it a new name and give its old name to the new server.)
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 2:01 AM
  • Google is my friend. WHSv1 name can be changed just like any other Win machine. Changing workgroup of WHS11, OTOH, requires magical incantation.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 11:48 AM