none
HPC terminal service: expired?

Question

• We had some problems with our AD and Headnode (the AD was misconfigured, and the Headnode was stuck).

A reboot of the headnode made it work again, but after one day (or better, ten hours), we run into another issue: the local session manager started to refuse connections with this message "The TS licensing grace period has expired and the service has not registered with a license server with installed licenses. A TS licensing server is required for continuous operation. A terminal server can operate without a license for 120 days after initial startup"
    What's happening? Which license? When we bought HPC server, our vendor told us that everything was included, also ulimited number of terminal connections to the headnode (we use remote desktop to connect to the headnode and submit jobs).

Have we messed up some configuration, or forgot something during the activation procedure?
    (I mentioned the AD and headnode problems at the beginning because I suspect they may be related somehow)

Thanks!
    Lorenzo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Lorenzo
    I think I recall that the FAQ page states that the server is licensed per server, and so individual CALs to access services provided by the server (i.e HPC services) are not required. But a windows server CAL is not the same thing as a Terminal Services CAL.
    A windows server CAL allows client access to the services which a server hosts, in this case the HPC scheduler & associated functions.
    A terminal services CAL allows remote desktop / thin client access to one or more applications hosted by the terminal server, in this case the HPC job manager application or command interface (or bespoke app?).
    Is Terminal Services your only option here?
    Regards
    Dan  
    • Marked as answer by Lorenzo Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:58 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hello Lorenzo
    Was this set up installed by your vendor? If so I'd start by tracking down the TS license server and attempting to debug it. If not...
    A Terminal Server connection requires a TS Client Access License, which may be either per device, or per user. Although you may have been provided with a set of CALs with your procurement, these need to be hosted for distribution by a TS License server. As you say, you will get 120 days grace before this requirement is enforced.
    In basic terms you will need to install the TS license server role, activate it, configure it, & add your TS license pack onto it. your head node should discover the license server for TS CALs, and away you go.
    Have a look here for more info on how to set this up:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754034.aspx
    It looks like a bit of a workup, but it's a set and forget type of operation so not too much pain is involved.
    Hope this helps
    Dan
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Thank you! Our vendor supplied licenses and sw and we installed it by our own. As far as I know (form the HPC FAQ page) HPC server has an unlimited number of CALs. Is this sufficient, or do we need a separate set of licenses for TS?
    Lorenzo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:55 AM
  • Hi Lorenzo
    I think I recall that the FAQ page states that the server is licensed per server, and so individual CALs to access services provided by the server (i.e HPC services) are not required. But a windows server CAL is not the same thing as a Terminal Services CAL.
    A windows server CAL allows client access to the services which a server hosts, in this case the HPC scheduler & associated functions.
    A terminal services CAL allows remote desktop / thin client access to one or more applications hosted by the terminal server, in this case the HPC job manager application or command interface (or bespoke app?).
    Is Terminal Services your only option here?
    Regards
    Dan  
    • Marked as answer by Lorenzo Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:58 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:06 PM
  • I see..
    TS is (was?) our "preferred" option, as we have linux and mac users. On Windows boxes, we installed the client tools (btw, on some machines they work, on other they crash...) as a temporary solution.
    We will investigate if we can get some TS licenses.
    Thank you again!
    Lorenzo
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:00 PM