Tune up - Defrangmenting the hard drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi

When i carry out tune up, it never defragments the hard drive. I get a message saying high levels of Defragmentation on my hard disk. How can i solve this problem and defragment the hard drive on tune ups?

Regards

Dak

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:54 AM

Answers

• Hello Dak, this message can be a little misleading. During tune up One Care allocates about fifteen minutes to defragmentation to help keep tune up from running for excessively long periods. What the message really means is that defragmentation did not finish in the allotted time and will resume during the next tune up. What may help is to run a defragmentation pass with the native Windows Disc defragmenter.  

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Dak, this message can be a little misleading. During tune up One Care allocates about fifteen minutes to defragmentation to help keep tune up from running for excessively long periods. What the message really means is that defragmentation did not finish in the allotted time and will resume during the next tune up. What may help is to run a defragmentation pass with the native Windows Disc defragmenter.  

Friday, September 19, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Hello,

I was searcing the forum for the same answer, but defrag is scheduled to run nightly on my computer.  Is this really anything to worry about, or only being caused because of a larger than average hard drive?

Thanks

Friday, September 19, 2008 4:59 PM
  • I wouldn't be concerned. If you are defragmenting daily with a third party application such as Perfect Disc or Diskeeper you will most likely always get the "Defragmentation could not complete" message from One Care since each defragmenter lays the files out differently.

Friday, September 19, 2008 5:26 PM