CRM 2013: Populate Field Value from Field on Another Entity without Code RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of building a CRM 2103 new environment.

I have created a custom Subproducer entity which includes fields for a Subproducer code (GUID) and the Subproducer Commission %.  I have built a relationship from that entity to another custom entity for Transactions.  If the Subproducer code is present on the Transaction entity, I would like to also retrieve the Subproducer Commission % from the Subproducer entity to populate it to the Transaction entity.  I would like the value to populate when an instance of the Transaction entity is first created.

How can I do this?  Is there any way to do this without JavaScript or other code?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 10:25 PM

All replies

• From your description I think it's not possible to realize this requirement without JavaScript or a plugin.

My blog: www.crmanswers.net - Rockstar 365 Profile

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:25 PM
  • you can use a workflow to do it without code but JS would be a better option.

1. Create a workflow (sync or async based on your requirement) to start when transaction record is created

2. Add a condition to check if Subproducer code contains data.

3. update transaction record wit the commission value (you will be able to select the commission from the subproducer record because of the relationship)

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 11:35 PM
  • Does the data have to be on the Transaction entity? If you just need it shown on the Transaction form, take a look at making a Subproducer quick form with the data you want for the Transaction and then updating the Transaction form with the Quick Form from the Subproducer. That keeps the data on the entity it really should be on, but gives visibility on the form you want.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 2:41 AM
  • I have tried to create a workflow through Processes, but it is not not working. 

Should it be a background or real-time workflow?  I have selected it to run when the Transaction record is created and it is activated.

Workflow:

If Transactions (Policy): Subproducer contains data, then:

Update: Transaction

Properties for the Update assign the Commission % field as: {Subproducer Commission % (Subproducer (Subproducer))}

Am I missing step to match the value of the Subproducer codes between the entities?

Yes, the data needs to be on the Transaction entity as it is involved in a calculation. 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:30 PM
  • I tested with a real time workflow, to run when the record is created and when the fields change (subproducer lookup on transaction)

You will not need to match the codes again. As you have the subproducer code lookup on transaction record and we are checking that it is not null and then retrieving value from that subproducer record.

Did your workflow trigger? Try adding a default action for the condition statement and then test.

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:22 PM