none
random 500 Internal Server Error RRS feed

• General discussion

• I got continue random Internal Server Error (500) browsing the forums. The errors happen immediately after the logon in the page redirecting from liveid sign in and the forums, and when I try to access a post from the thread list.

Also I get the error after submitting my first post. The post was accepted but an error page has been displayed.

And another couple of problems:

1) in my profile the Signature textbox is too much small and does not accept "enter"
    2) the description field does not accept a ' (apostrophe) also if it has proposed this char itself probably reading mi LiveID profile description...

bye & thanks
    Andrea Boschin
    Monday, February 18, 2008 8:39 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your post! We have soft launched these forums and we are going to continue to monitor behavior over the next couple of weeks. We will also investigate your additional issues and log bugs as necessary.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:51 AM
  • I get these random 500 Internal Server Errors, too. Mainly when clicking the "My Profile" link.

Alex
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Alexander Zeitler said:

I get these random 500 Internal Server Errors, too. Mainly when clicking the "My Profile" link.

Alex

I get random 500 errors too in all sorts of areas...reloading the page or loading it from a bookmark (same url) usually resolves the issue.
    Sunday, March 2, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Something seems to be fixed, actually I can browse around and no 500 in sight ;-)

Alex

P.S.: Is it correct that there is actually no product forum live?
    Monday, March 3, 2008 10:08 PM
  • Yes, we have <hopefully> resolved the db connection related 500 errors this morning which were the bulk of what people were experiencing over the weekend.

http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/ are live forums for the Expression products.

We made some siginificant updates on Friday for perf, out of curiousity how are everyones experiences now?
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, March 3, 2008 10:32 PM
  • Having a 2 MBit SDSL connecting, the first page load with emptied cache in IE 7 takes about 7 seconds. After login the list of forums etc. takes about 10 seconds to load.

Alex

Monday, March 3, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Alexander, if I were to guess, that speaks to more of a latency problem. Can I ask where you are connecting from?

The next release that we're testing now will address some latency issues by knocking down the total number of http get's required for a page but that will only go so far. We'll be doing some of the more significant things to address that issue in subsequent releases.

Rob J, Forums Dev
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 9:06 PM
  • robjoh said:

Alexander, if I were to guess, that speaks to more of a latency problem. Can I ask where you are connecting from?

The next release that we're testing now will address some latency issues by knocking down the total number of http get's required for a page but that will only go so far. We'll be doing some of the more significant things to address that issue in subsequent releases.

Rob J, Forums Dev

I tried to pull up the main Expression Web forum page earlier today and got the error page several times.
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:04 PM
  • We've fixed a bunch of errors and perf issues and are still troubleshooting some others. Most of the bugs are fixed--we're now hunting down some really elusive ones.

From about 8-10am this morning, we had a number 500 errors that we side affects of backend DB maintenance script that hung up. Once we fixed the script, everything returned to normal.
    Jeff Day, Principal Group Program Manager
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 8:45 PM
  • I'm still receiving error 500 whenever I use my bookmark link to http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/MSNDirectMobile/threads/

This only happens if you've just opened your browser and click the bookmarked link.

If you copy and paste the link into the address bar it works without the error. If you click the bookmark after you've gotten the page to load once, the error 500 no longer appears (unless you close the browser completely and try the bookmark again).

This could be a potential issue to other users trying to access our forums in the future.

I'm using IE version: 7.0.6000.16609 if that helps.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Hello All

I get the 500 errors consistantly on one machine

system:
    Win XP pro 64x sp2
    IE: 7.0.5730.11

The system has all versions of net on it icluding the latest net 3.5, VS 2005, 2008, expressions, office, etc.

It consistantly gets the 500 errors

Another machine, same configuration, same versions, same everything

No 500 errors at all

Another machine:
    Win Server 2003 64x , all versions of net, IIS 6.0, IE 70.5730.13

No 500 errors

Another Machine
    Vista Premium sp1  No errors
    Vista Home Basic sp1 No Errors

So it would seem that my particular flavor of 500 errors are specific to something on the one machine's client environment.

Does not seem to be anything related to firewalls or proxies. All machines are on the same internal network and go throught the same gateway.

I am available to answer configuration questions should you find it useful.

Ibrahim

• Edited by Ibrahim Y Saturday, July 26, 2008 7:01 PM mis-spellings
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 6:59 PM
  • Ya, the "upgrades" MS has done to the forums are awful. 500 and 404s abound. Redirects are a feature that should be used and it is kind of sad when you have better luck reading the forums through google cache than you do going to the actual site. Lets just say this is a LITTLE frustrating when every other link is a 404 or 500. And it cannot be blamed on old links from google as if I use the search in the forums the links give up just as many 404 and 500 errors. 500's can be slightly understandable if new code has been released but 404s are unacceptable. Redirects were added to HTTP for a reason.
    • Edited by apdicaprio Wednesday, July 30, 2008 6:03 PM ed: by --&gt; but
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 5:57 PM