none
Uninstalling uTorrent Add In doesn't remove it from the WHS Server Colsole - How do you? RRS feed

• Question

• I uninstalled the uTorrent Add-In, but it didn't go away. It was still there in the WHS Server Console. I rebooted the server and it was still there.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to remove uTorrent from WHS?

Monday, April 12, 2010 3:13 PM

Answers

• I successfully removed the uTorrent Add In using the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel:

Log Off from the WHS Console

Connect to the server via Remote Desktop

Go to Control Panels -> Add or Remove Programs

Select "Windows Home Server - uTorrent" and click on Remove

If the WHS Console is still running, it will complain that other users are logged in.

This was all I had to do. There was no need for editing the Registry or removing DLLs.

Best Regards,

Tim

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:21 PM

All replies

• You could give this add-in a try:

http://www.whsplus.com/2009/04/06/addin-cleanup-tool/

--
    Monday, April 12, 2010 3:42 PM
  • First, is the add-in still listed as available to uninstall in the console? If it is, try again. Failing that and Al's suggestion (which is a good one), you can probably clean the offending add-in off of your server by hand. Note that this is unsupported; add-ins are supposed to install and uninstall cleanly. You're running a small risk of causing other issues if you proceed in this direction, and I (at least) can't give you specific step by step instructions because I don't use BitTorrent...

• In general, to remove an add-in by hand, you will want to reboot your server. This will make sure that everything is unloaded from memory.
    • See if the add-in is listed in Add & Remove Programs . If it is, uninstall it.
    • You may find one or more DLLs associated with your add-in in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server ; remove those.
    • You may find the add-in mentioned in the registry:
      HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\RegisteredAdditions
      Find the registry entry that refers to the add-in and remove the whole key. It will have a name like {773410c0-7622-4949-a598-2f671cf337ea} .
    • If it's still there, remove the add-in .msi from this location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server .
    Remember that I have not tested this, and it is, in any case, unsupported. It should work, but you try it at your own risk.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 12, 2010 5:40 PM
  • Many thanks for your suggestions. I've already uninstalled this Add In and moved the .msi installer to another directory. It no longer shows up in the list of Add Ins or Add Ins to be installed (but it still shows up in the Server Console). I assume that, in this case, the Cleanup Tool may not be able to remove it and the manual method may be the only game in town - thanks for the instructions.

I found similar instructions on We Got Served .

Monday, April 12, 2010 6:01 PM
  • I successfully removed the uTorrent Add In using the Add or Remove Programs Control Panel:

Log Off from the WHS Console

Connect to the server via Remote Desktop

Go to Control Panels -> Add or Remove Programs

Select "Windows Home Server - uTorrent" and click on Remove

If the WHS Console is still running, it will complain that other users are logged in.

This was all I had to do. There was no need for editing the Registry or removing DLLs.

Best Regards,

Tim

Monday, April 19, 2010 2:21 PM