Is the Model # of Hard Drive(s) Saved Anywhere in the Storage Pool? RRS feed

• Question

• I had my server setup with 3 Seagate Barracuda ES2 hard drives, Model # ST3500320NS.
    Four months later the System (C: and D: partitions) drive died. I replaced the dead drive with Western Digital RE3. After that I went thru the Server Reinstallation procedure.

The problem is that after the Server Reinstallation, in the Connector, the 3 drives are still identified as ST35000320NS. Is it a glitch or does the WHS store the model # of the hard drives somewhere in the storage pool? Device Manager shows the correct hard drives.

I did correct the name of the system drive in the Windows Registry.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 11:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    from experiences with cloning attempts of the system disk this worked only well, if the hardware information of the cloned system disk was also cloned (I believe mainly the serial number of the disk played a role, but this is pure theory). And I can confirm, as I performed a reinstall by attaching the two physical data disks to a HyperV Virtual machine with a virtual system disk, the (physical) data disks got shown as Virtual HD, but the virtual system disk earned the name of the original drive. So you seem to be right, that a server reinstall preserves this data.

Correcting such stuff in the registry can be dangerous sometimes.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:15 AM